June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
8 members (azgreg, James Flynn, bushveld, KY Jon, Ducks Rx, 1 invisible), 397 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,615
Posts547,011
Members14,427
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
Sidelock

Nitro, I didn't say it was the Best, I said best organized. I love the Vintagers and the Southern. The UP runs smoother, with less waiting at stations. When the Vintagers started you could shoot a round of 5 stand for around $8, last time I attended it was $30. Clearly they have set their target audience at the more affluent shooters. I enjoy seeing the guys and gals in period garb, but when it is 80 degrees it is nice to be in shorts and sandals, which fits right in up North. At the Southern and the Vintagers you get to look at and handle Purdeys and H&H etc. While you can see a few of those at the UP, you are more likely to see doubles below the $10,000 level. They change their mix of events almost every year to keep things fresh. While they limit the main event to 120 shooters, there are ample opportunities for non registered shooters to play.
At the Southern we had shooters speed by us in their buggies to get to the next station ahead of people consquently you can wait 30 minutes plus for a turn. This doesn't happen at the UP, because each squad is assigned a time and a station and they all rotate together. As for the names and how they shot, I'm sure there are groups that have rivalrys among friends, but this shoot is about much more than the final scores. I suspect this shoot may not be your cup of tea

This ain't a dress rehearsal , Don't Let the Old Man IN
RMC Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Correct me if wrong, but didn't Double Gun Journal have an article on the UP shoot with photos in one of last years issues. That would give the story and pics. Anyone else remember and can be more specific? Dave M., sorry I didn't connect this year again. Couldn't remember the details of your truck and parking spot. Be nice to make connection with folks we see posting on this site. Just for grins, how many on this site got to go and either shot the registered event or just the open venues? Randy

RMC
Sidelock
Sidelock

It's a shooters event, plain and simple. I went several times and enjoyed it but I go as much to bullshit and look at guns as I do to break targets. I haven't been for a couple years but not because it's got a good event.

Destry

Out there at the crossroads molding the devil's bullets. - Tom Waits
Sidelock
Sidelock

Bullshitting and looking at double guns. As some broad sang so well in a James Bond flick- and approps to you MH- "Nobody Does It Better"-- let's see old HoJo jump into this one feet first. See you all at the Mich LP SxS shoot on Sat July 18th at Lapeer Gun Club- and thanks to Ted and Co. from Indiana who invited me to attend this UP fest with his crew- Duty called (well OK- her name is Mavis) and we were in VA- USMC Quantico and some history, and Ghent event invited me to the NRA Lifers Banquet for Sat. at -you'll love this- Winchester VA- NW corridor- close to the West "By God" VA line- and VA and West VA- two states Obama could not charm the pants off last Fall- RWTF

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

Nitro, the numbers thing isn't to "camouflage" the names of the participants. What I guess a lot of people don't get about the UP Shoot is that most of the shooters are NOT competitive types. They're just there to have fun, and the award system is perfect for them: only one gun awarded for shooting well, and that to the top score for the entire event, everything else by Lewis Class (or drawing). So a guy who shoots the 100th best score can go home with a gun, while the guy who shoots the 2nd best gets shut out. Funny thing is, the really top guys keep returning year after year too, even though they know only one of them is going to win a gun.

Sidelock
Sidelock

My first time attending. I chose to go on short notice, just a couple of days before the event. I shot a few side events, chatted with a bunch of nice people and took hundreds of pics.

I'll go back again, hopefully next year.

Nitro, stay away, it's not pretentious enough for you.

Mike
Sidelock
Sidelock

It is called the UP SxS Classic. Not the UP SxS Championship. Here is there philosophy from there website

The Philosophy

Many enjoy highly competitive clay shooting, and there is nothing wrong with such events; however this event emphasizes the beauty and utility of the side-by-side and the camaraderie of the participants based on their mutual appreciation of the form.

Although there will be shooting competition and there will be prizes, this event is not all about winning or losing. The Grand Prize will be awarded as a raffle prize, with a raffle ticket given to each entrant. Lewis class prizes will be awarded based on combined scores for all events.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.