June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 393 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,574
Posts546,489
Members14,424
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

Don, you got that right, be really careful around Horses, Cattle also for that matter.

About 20 years ago, when Ear Tags were in fashion for Cattle I had a little Black Angus cow, snubbed up, or so I thought. Well she got loose and was running all over the catch pen with the rope still attached to her neck. Then she ran head on into me, knocked me half way across the pen. She hit me so hard the buttons popped off my shirt.

And that is minor compared to what a Horse can do to you !

Last edited by postoak; 07/05/09 02:33 PM.

Mine's a tale that can't be told, my freedom I hold dear.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I meant be care what you say. Rockie, your not a livestock person.
You just weren't there with us!

Ole Cowboy
Sidelock
Sidelock

Buddy at the gun club had his thumb almost bit off by a horse a few weeks back....I asked him if he killed the horse....he said "heck no the horse was worth over 100 thousand bucks".

Sidelock
Sidelock

Don, you are right. I just didn't have the knack for handling livestock well. I had a horse as a kid, and my family ran a few Cattle, but a Wrangler or Cowboy I ain't.

Milk Cows I could generally handle

Mine's a tale that can't be told, my freedom I hold dear.

Sidelock
Sidelock

A bull killed one of my neighbors a couple weeks ago in the corral. He was trying to load him on a trailer to get rid of him because he was so wild. Daughter found him trampled to death with the bull still working him over. Only mistake neighbor made was trying to handle him alone. Bull escaped the corral and was in the dirt road charging the county motor grader later. Finally captured and got rid of. That doesn't make me hate cows. There are crazy cows, crazy horses, even crazy people. Always has been. Some of the craziest cows I ever had were also some of the best mothers to their calves. Just overly protective and distrustful of people. Come to think of it.....................?

Last edited by Stan; 07/05/09 04:40 PM.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Boxlock
Boxlock

I grew up in a horse shoing family. Father, all my Uncles, my Grandfather, two cousins....all farriers. Dad worked on Arab and Saddlebred show horses. Saw some absolute idiots on 4 legs ( the sums up most of the arabs bred in the 80's) I now have a QH mare that comes when I call her, stands for me to trim her feet without being tied, works off hand siglnals on the ground and is not far from being able to be ridden bridleless.

Most of the problems people have with horses begin with buying the wrong horse. Good beginner/kid horses are few and are expensive. Most approach buying a horse like buying a first car in that they buy the prettiest/cheapest they find. I've done it too and it ended up a total disaster.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I raise Straight Egyptian Arabians. Got 17 of them with 4 stallions. I only ride stallions as they are reliable. Those hormonal types can be strange, indeed. Maybe in horses, too. Asil Arabians are house pets.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I bred and raised Tennessee Walking Horses/Racking Horses for a while. They were fun, but a pretty expensive hobby.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Horses are just like anything else,they cost money, handled badly they are dangerous, and they can be a real pleasure...Sounds like guns dont it?

Sidelock
Sidelock

A lot of my neighbors have horses and trailers and barns and stuff like that. They don't ever ride them they just feed them and have the vet or the horse shoe guy come out once in a while, or load one up and take it over to another neighbors house to have it bred so they'll have another horse that they don't ride. Then there are about a couple of thousand head that belong to the govenment that reside on another neighbors land. They don't do anything with them either. They just stand around and eat, swat flies and do horsey stuff. Of course you and I get to help pay my neighbor for keeping them on his pasture 'cause they've been relocated from some place out west that couldn't handle them.I guess there horsey refugees.I don't have anything against horses in general (except the one that tried to rub me off on a fence post)but I'm not really excited about paying for there care. I think the Euros eat them.

Dodging lions and wasting time.....
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.