June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
3 members (Jtplumb, 2 invisible), 397 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,576
Posts546,565
Members14,424
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: BrentD
You assesment of modern academics is, again, wrong. But I am giving up on you listening. A sure sign of a PC person is one that is unable to face facts that stand contrary to his perceptions. You are being foolish - to put it politely. And you are doing a damn good job of alienating yet one more academic...

Hi Brent,
I know I'm not part of the conversation, but I'm curious know if higher education in general is tolerant of sporting gun issues or if it's just your campus. Could it be possible to run into a few hard left personalities on the average college campus.

I think it's foolish to assume there'll be a friend at the near by college, Craig

Sidelock
Sidelock

Craig, here is are a real short list of those campuses where I have personally hunted with faculty.

Iowa State U. (current)
U. Kansas
U. Arizona
U. Georgia
Michigan State U.
U. Nebraska (I was never a member of this institution but I hunt with several of their faculty from Wyoming to Africa).

I personally and regularly swap hunting stories and shooting stories and gun gab with faculty from more institutions than I can count. But I have not the above list only includes places where I have PERSONALLY been in the field them - and, except for UNL - where I have been an employed.

BTW, we have an intercollegiant trap and skeet team with, oh 70-100 students heavily involved. And a rifle and pistol club as well. The University also sponsors two hunting clubs connected to Ducks Unlimited and Pheasants Forever.

Hell, I used to bow hunt with my 6th grade teacher. You guys really have no clue what the typical academic is like but you are making it easy for them to dislike you right from the get go.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: BrentD
...You guys really have no clue what the typical academic is like but you are making it easy for them to dislike you right from the get go.

Thanks much Brent, academia is critical to the job I've chosen. I too have stories like pouring decoy weights with one of my profs, but...I'd hate to 'misfire' on the wrong forum.

For every time you've felt right at home with your peers, there may be other situations that remind of beer summits. Like or dislike shouldn't determine the merit of preserving tidbits of history, but it does.

Only the best, Craig

Last edited by craigd; 09/01/09 11:58 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Sorry to butt into this conversation and I will probbly regret it but out of the 100's of professors and thousands of students your sampling seems a bit off to me even by your own suggestions. Also the schools you mention are all good schools but they are not typical of colleges across this country and especially on the two coasts. I have lived and attended school in New York, Colorado, Wyoming and Chicago and I can tell you the Professors in Wyoming and Colorao were qite different than those in New York and Chicago. Again we are glad for those of you who share our passion and thankful for any and all support but to say academia is on our side I believe is overstating it a little bit. Also it would help in my opinion that when Joe or anyone else challenges your views to not treat them likie a first year student and not tell them you are right and they are wrong because you are the professor and we don't have your knowledge or insight and how can we be doubting your experience. When in fact our experience has been different from yours. Most of the people that actively participate on this board seem to be well educated and we have nothing to gain by slamming academia but are speaking what they believe to be true and from their own experiences. Again this is just one persons view and I thank you for reading it whether or not we agree.

Michael J

Sidelock
Sidelock

Smile how about our estemed Pres,He was a Prof,his Fiend Ayres etc,etc, are they all for gun rights.???? Smile Whitey

Sidelock
Sidelock

BrentD, don't kid yourself, the professoriat at the Northeastern and California universities that, alas, produce our governing elite is strongly antigun. Those worthy schools you cited are simply without comparable political influence. And, IMO, trap and skeet people and bird hunters tend to be politically the least active class of gun owners in supporting the 2nd Amendment.

Sidelock
Sidelock

You can add most of CSU to that list. I can't believe that children are born not liking guns or gun sports. Where do they get most of there guidance.About socitey. In school.From a bunch of liberal. Teachers. I know this is not true with all schools. But it becomes more that way all the time.AND then they run for office. Smile.Think about all our educated.People in goverment.Then think about where the worst ones are from.And where they went to school. But the part I can not understan. Is with all there high dollar education. Is why they think restricing my gun rights. Will stop the crooks from getting a gun.And why they should think.That the guy breaking into your house.Should have the right to feel safe from harm.Smile

Sidelock
Sidelock

Whitey, you are also wrong. I know of hunters and a few serious gun dog field trialers at CSU. I know of a pile of hunters all through the UC system, so mike, scratch the California schools off your hate list. Better scratch the Oregon schools too. Lots of hunters there. Sorry but I can't say anything one way or the other about U. Wash. Only know a couple of folks there and not very well.

I know of hunters in most of the NE schools also, and had things been just a little less good here in Iowa, I'd be posting this from @columbia.edu instead of @iastate.edu. When I turned down that position at Columbia, it wasn't because of guns, and I didn't have to pass an anti-gun litmus test to get that offer. During that same period, I interviewed at UMass-Amherst and found hunters there.

You guys are doing a real good job of making enemies out of allies in particularly valuable places. Smart move. Way to go.

And Whitey, I know of plenty of "liberal" hunters and a fair number of them in the serious target shootoihng world. They keep pretty close to the closet though. Keep it up and I'll know fewer, and it won't be because they have switched to your conservative lock-step ranks. They will quit hunting because it gets old to be beat up by what one thinks are one's friends over it. You are so absolutely clueless, you can't even begin to conceive of what you don't grasp.

And MJ, I won't bother you with stories I swap with a prof friend of mine from Chicago - one of your named centers to hate. He collects late 19th and early 20th century military rifles from around the world. He ain't alone, I could list a goodly number of them without much effort at all. Chicago is pretty rife with bulletheads.

You guys are so PC in looking for those special places and groups to hate you can't see past your own toes. But I sure would appreciate it if you would drop the damn bullshit you recite, and start thinking for yourselves.

I've had enough of this, so chalk up another win for your side - alienated another one. Good job. I'm outa here.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

Brent,
I for one never used or for that fact use the word hate towards any person. That is purely your take. I simply stated that the majority of professors at these locations are not of like mind to us. You see a far as I can tell we are not looking to make enemies we are simply relating our experiences. You say you have one professor in Chicago you share your passion with. How many Professors do you suppose are located in he greater chicago area? Do you really believe that a majority of them share our passion? And just for the record Chicago is one of my favorite cities and one of the easiest to enjoy. And that comes from a native New Yorker. You are mentioning a small sampling of your contacts and you say that they are disheartened by our view of them, my question would be why don't they and you ( and you may already do this and I applaud you if you do ) work on the people you are incostant contact with and try and help them to see our side ad maybe bring them in line with our beliefs a little more. This will of course result in having our opinion changing and everything being better for eveyone. I know this is simplistic. I think your numbers are still not working out. Yes you know hunters and shooters at each of these schools, like minded people always have a way of finding each other. But I don't believe you have made a strong argument for your premise that a majority of academia is not against us. Yes there are pockets of people on our side but that is all, just pockets.
Once agian just my opinion and experience.

Michael J

Sidelock
Sidelock

Brent I said most not all. Smile.And I think even you would admit. They are far out numbered. And look at the actions of some of the schools of higher education. They sure want our tax money to support them. BUT no Military Requiting to help protect our BUTTS.
No matter what I would not trust a University with. Historical info on gun. JMO

Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.