September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online Now
3 members (dukxdog, Perry M. Kissam, Researcher), 216 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,934
Posts550,889
Members14,460
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 10 of 14 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14
Sidelock
Sidelock

That is the hallmark of a Halifax. Brazed barrels. As to the specifics of why Mr. Darne was awarded his patent in 1902 for the fretted barrel, or monoblock, after Pieper had a previous, similar patent, I can't say, however, I can say that Regis Darne took it and made it a wildly sucessful innovation.
What did Pieper do?
Twisted barrels were not used in France for 3 or 4 decades after Pieper's patent. They took to steel tubes from the onset.
Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Teddy you need to start a new thread for your Fwench bumper jacks....this thread is about the best and the strongest not the most novel action. Wee wee...miz'zure....comprehende AmigO'

Anyone with even half a brain knows the Purdey patend 'double underbite' combined with the W.& C.Scott patend 'top lever' is King and will always be King.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I think your hacksaw needs some exercise, so, go find one to work some magic on. Never seen a loose Purdey, homy? You need to get out more. Geno needs to put up with some documentation of a loose Darne, too.
Still waiting Geno.
Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Manufrance catalog 1890

That illustration stayed in the catalog and did not disappear until the 1905 edition. Which says nothing except they were making the steel barrels cheaper than could produce damascus themselves or purchase from Belgium. This is the same time frame that the British stopped damascus production.

As for Pieper's monoblock, here is a thread that shows a bit of it:

http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbt...true#Post164088

If any one wants the entire Rapport du Jury from the Paris exhibition, I can provide that.

Among Pieper's patents was an oven for brazing barrels.

I do not think one is better than the other. It is very common to see similar patents from various countries. They simply did not have the means to do the pre-application searches we do today. In France it was possible to file an "temporary patent", in Belgium, patents were filed at "district" offices; making searches nearly impossible.

Pete

Sidelock
Sidelock

I think you will find that it is a rare Manufrance gun built after 1885 that has damascus barrels. I know for fact that this is the case with Darne guns, the 1894 patent R was never available with damascus barrels. The previous examples I've handled, including an 1870s vintage prototype R, were all steel barreled guns. The sliding breech guns started with brazed steel barrels and the grades higher than Halifax got monoblock barrels around the time that proof with powder T came into use-1900. There were several grades of Halifax, at one time, and monoblock barrels were an option on the higher grade.
I have seen a model A Darne pivot breech gun with damascus barrels, that design was patented in 1887, but, was likely in production earlier, maybe much earlier.
Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ted....

Isn't it just shocking that the rest of the world didn't run out and copy the Darnes sliding breech like they did the Purdey double underbolts and the W&C Scott top lever.

Sidelock
Sidelock

More enlightenment needed here. The world ran out and copied the Holland & Holland action, jOe. The Purdey is not actually copied to the extent the H & H action is, for reasons you can look up on your own.
If you saw the list of companies that built Darne clone guns over the years, you would realize just how asinine that statement you typed really is.
They built A MILLION guns with their own name. As I aksed you to do before, name another gun company that has built a million double guns jOe.
Doubt you noticed, but, when you buy a new Purdey O/U, you get a monoblock gun. Regis Darne is laughing out loud, somewhere.
Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Too bad they all got used up as Toe'matO stakes.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Well I don't have production numbers on them but would not surprise me in the least to find that Stevens made about a million Double guns, they didn'y bother to SN theirs though until forced to do so by law in 1968. I don't think the numbers built built has much to do with "Best" or even "Strongest" often more to do with "Cheapness". Re T-Model Ford vs Roll's Royce.
Originally Posted By: "Ted"
Doubt you noticed, but, when you buy a new Purdey O/U, you get a monoblock gun. Regis Darne is laughing out loud, somewhere.

You're Still Ignoring that Regis just "Copied Henri" with that block, he don't have anything to laugh about there. Now "IF" that Purdey is a Sliding Breech then its another matter, but I don't think so.

The mat'l used for the tubes of course has absolutely nothing to do with the principal of joining them. Piepers can be found with Twist, Damascus & Steel tubes all fit to his "One Piece Steel Breech" which was not made of damascus/twist on any of them as you so adamantly implied.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

best and strongest gun for the least money is a late stevens 311 with walnut stained birch stock.

keep it simple and keep it safe...
Page 10 of 14 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.