Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 9 of 14 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 13 14
Sidelock
Sidelock

Yah so much for good Christian teachings, what happened to turn the other cheek.? Maybe when at your service this sunday do some thinking on it. Firing of salvos over soemthing as juvenile as this? Could be some of you guys have too much time on yuor hands? CB

Sidelock
Sidelock

I once had a Mossberg that needed sleeving but it turned out that by affixing a 6" rubber suction cup to the muzzle it had more value as a plunger.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I heard that

Sidelock
Sidelock

If anyone ever needed a steel shank toilet plunger, it would be you, GregSY. Or, jOe.
Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Is a Darne just not worth sleeving....is that what up sets you Teddy ?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ah, a chance to enlighten an idiot.
A Darne is a monoblock design, the originator of the concept. Instead of a soldered/brazed/collection of the barrel stubs, under rib, top rib, solder, braze and whatnot that was included in the hack-sawed remains of your Purdey sleever, there is a solid, machined chunk of tool steel. This can be heated and repaired, over and over, pretty much forever, since it is one piece.
Sleeving, involving a hacksaw, like your gun did, isn't how a Darne is repaired. The silver solder is heated, the barrels someone like you damaged when you fell on them, backed the truck over them, or, whatever, are removed, the monoblock cleaned, and brand new tubes fitted and re-soldered.
Sleeving, as it were, doesn't happen to a Darne, jOe-make a note of it, would you?

Again.
Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: "Ted"
Ah, a chance to enlighten an idiot.
A Darne is a monoblock design, the originator of the concept.

Don't really want to get in the middle here between you & Joe but it is noted that US patent #246,195 was issued Aug 23, 1881 to one Henri Pieper of Liege Belgium for a "Means of Uniting Gun Barrels". I believe it was patented in Belgium about a year earlier. While Pieper did not use the term "Monoblock" this was in fact a monoblock design, plain, pure & simple. Pieper referred to it as his "One Piece Steel Breech". (A Rose by any other name is still a Rose)
If you don't mind would you enlighten us as to just how much earlier Darne "Originated this Concept".

Last edited by 2-piper; 11/04/09 06:18 PM.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

Charlins done similarly, Ted? Not that I need new sleeves--er uh--pants. Luv them little rib ramps on those Frenchies. Fun fact to know and share: Walt S's book illustrates a Flues with the same sunk rib and ramps. I got one--12 ga. from 1918. Like to have a Manufrance Gun & BIke "ee--day-al". Bodio ways we ain't supposed to say eye-deel.

jack

Sidelock
Sidelock

Darne originated the concept of using steel, forgings, in the case of his guns, not damascus, for the barrels, ribs and sub-assembly monoblock, in 1902. The patent issued to him was not refered to as a monoblock, either, but, as "Canons Frettés".
Pieper, using damacus for both, had an obsolete design almost before his patent was issued, at least where French gunmaking was concerned-damascus, was pretty much a thing of the past by 1881 in St. Etienne. The French got out of Damascus a few decades before anyone else, and were involved in getting US companies out of it at the turn of the century.
My Charlins always had plain, brazed barrels. Bodio speaks more French then me (I can say "I'm hungry" and curse at a waiter, more than enough for my travels in France) but, when in Rome, or, fly-over USofA, Ideal works for me.
Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

It is true that Pieper was using damascus/twist for the tubes, but "NOT" for the breech piece (Monoblock) this was made of steel. Considering that Twisted bbls would remain in wide use for another 3-4 decades I would not call that Obsolete. Now I am not one who is Down on French Gunmakers, just like to give credit where credit is due. The French indeed had several Firsts in gunmakiking, the monoblock just didn't happen to be one of them.
PS; My Halifax also has plain brazed bbls.

Last edited by 2-piper; 11/04/09 10:57 PM.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Page 9 of 14 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 13 14

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.