Alfred Gray Parker established his firm in 1894 at 69 Icknield Street, the firm were recorded as "Gun, Rifle and Pistol Makers" until about 1910.
A G Parker's nephew, A T C Hale, joined the firm in about 1895.
In 1901 the firm moved to 264 Icknield Street where they traded as A G Parker & Co, and in 1906 they became a limited company and described themselves as manufacturers of "rifle shooting requisites".
In 1912 the company moved to 6 1/2 Whittall Street which they named the Bisley Works.
By 1914 A T C Hale had developed "Parker-Rifling", a barrel liner which converted .303 rifles to .22 for training recruits in the British army. The original idea was a removable calibre conversion tube which was invented by Richard Morris (see Morris's Aiming and Sighting Apparatus).
Alfred Gray Parker died in 1915, by which time the company described themselves as manufacturers of "rifle shooting requisites and gun implements".
In 1916 the company took additional premises at 5 Whittall Street. In 1924 they took further additional premises at 55-56 Price Street.
In 1925 A T C Hale's second son, Arthur, joined the company. At about this time the firm's target rifles were based on the Lee Enfield in .303 calibre using BSA or Parker aperture sights; the shotguns which the company sold were made by BSA, Webley & Scott and Vickers (Vanguard).
In 1926 three members of the Hale family shot in the King's Hundred at the Imperial Meeting at Bisley, and in 1928 Arthur C Hale won the King's Prize.
In 1929 the company expanded into 6 Whittall Street so that their address was Bisley Works, 5, 6, 6 1/2 Whittall Street & 55-56 Price Street. By about 1932 the company's barrel and implement making works were located in 6 1/2 Whittall Street.
By 1935 the company were recorded as "Gun Implement Makers", and in 1936 the name of the company was changed from A G Parker & Co Ltd to Parker-Hale Ltd.
In 1940 the company established P H Arms Co at 79 Hurst Street, Birmingham. This company traded as "repairers", probably of service rifles. In 1946 their address was given as Proof House Hall, Banbury Street, this was probably an administration office, the company closed in 1948.
From 1949 to 1953 the company had additional workshop facilities in Lower Tower Street.
In 1952 A T C Hale died and Arthur C Hale became Chairman and Managing Director. It was at this time that the company bought the Midland Gun Company.
In 1963 the company re-located entirely to Golden Hillock Road.
In the 1960s the company sold the 500 range of over-under shotguns under the Midland name; these were made in Italy. The Midland Gun Co 700 range of over/under and side-by-side shotguns was also made in Italy (by Franchi). The 600 range of side-by-side shotguns (boxlocks and sidelocks) were made in Spain. The 800 range of over/under guns were made in Japan. Only one gun was sold under the Parker-Hale name, this was the Lu Mar 525 Italian made over/under.
In 1969 S C Hale became Chairman and John Le Breton became Managing Director.
In 1982 Arthur C Hale died, and when John Le Breton retired Roger Hale became Managing Director.
At about this time Gibbs Rifle Co of the USA made sporting rifles using the Midland and Parker-Hale names, the precise nature of the agreement which allowed this is unknown.
In November 1999, the company went into receivership and the name of Parker-Hale and the intellecual property rights of the company were sold to John Rothery (Wholesale) Co Ltd of Petersfield, Hampshire, UK; this company markets a range of shooting accessories.
For an unconverted example, see:
http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbt...;gonew=1#UNREADPete