September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online Now
2 members (SKB, 1 invisible), 207 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,897
Posts550,562
Members14,458
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Sidelock
Sidelock

Yup, the big boys at Remington loved those Ohio game wardens. Are the guns highly engraved? Fancy wood? We would surely like the pictures. Even a scan of the letter would be nice.

Last edited by eightbore; 12/26/06 11:31 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Yeah, Bill, There is something wrong with this story. I can't imagine some of us have never hear of anything(at least a little) about these guns.

Ole Cowboy
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hey guys, I knew this would be the place to get answers. I'm no expert and never claimed to be. I was looking for my dad a pair of antique spurs when I ran across this gun. The letter looks official, but who knows? I've called Ohio Dept. of Natural Resources (ODNR) to see if they had any history on these guns and/or authenticate the letter. But nothing yet. X-mas and Muzzleloading season going on right now so I'm sure their busy. The gun says Remington Arms on each side of the receiver and nothing else. Exposed hammers and definetely 20 guage. I knew the last Remington SxS was made in about 1910, but have never even had my hands close to one, let alone know anything about them. I'm going to get pictures on very soon and I'm sure that will help. I'm a regular reader on this site and I knew better than to post w/o pictures. Sorry.

Lloyd Purvis - Director of Collegiate Scouting
College Prospects of America
cpoaohiovalley@yahoo.com

Lloyd, Since you're in my area, would it be possible for me to see this gun.. MDC

Sidelock
Sidelock

Wouldnt it be funny if it ended up being an old hardware double that some old farmer from ohio fit a pair of Remington locks to for some reason or another? That seems to be a logical answer, since it appears nobody has heard of this gun before. If it is the real deal, why was it so unpublished and secretive? Can anyone think of old publications that would give us any insight on the gun? Maybe a 50s Shooters Bible or any of the numerous books written about Remington Arms? All I can say is pictures pictures pictures!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Yes, pictures are the clue. Posters on this site know a bit more about Remington shotguns than the office staff at Ohio Department of Natural Resourses. "Some old farmer", CM, wouldn't have faked the letter "for some reason or another". The "some reason or another" would be to hoodwink a future purchaser. I have seen more than one sidelock Crescent Arms .410 with Parker Brothers or L.C.Smith stamped (not engraved) on the sideplates.

Last edited by eightbore; 12/27/06 10:19 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Good point eightbore, I completely forgot their was a letter involved. I am now agreeing with eightbore, in that somebody was probably trying to make a pretty penny on this. Wonder if old master gunsmtih Ed sold the gun to antique dealer, hehehe.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Iron Man:

I think someone in the chain of title to the gun decided to snooker the next guy in the chain of title.

Why?

1) Commemoratives or "Specials" are produced for advertising and marketing purposes. Everyone knows about Ithaca's DU guns, and the commemoratives produced for Quail Unlimited. Anniversary guns such as S & W 125th , ec. are ballyhooed and photographed and accompanied by press releases. Doesnt seem likely that such a gun would be secret, or even unknown to the collector set.

2) Where would Remington get the frames? Surely they had not been sitting around the shop since 1904. ( I know that Cyril Adams found ONE unfinished action when he bought Atkin, Grant and Lang - but to find 88 hanging around strains credulity). Fabricating frames from scratch seems enormously far fetched - thats what makes English guns so expensive.

3) Why 20g? I would expect a game warden to prefer a 12g.

4) If Remington wanted to do a special thing for the 88 Game Wardens of Ohio, why not a special - made Remington 11-48, or one of the then-new, cutting edge Wingmaster 870 pumps? What good, from a marketing standpoint, could Remington accomplish from the GREAT expense of 88 special made shotguns, when those shotguns are not in the regular sales line, and cannot be expected to produce other sales or justification for the expense on the bottom line?

5) Gifts to public officials, simply because they are public officials, are frequently illegal, or must be handled through very narrow and controlled channels. Another reason this sounds, odd, to say the least.

6) Perhaps the Ohio DNR is more forthcomiong than most agencies, but I would expect it to be impossible to get most bureaucracies to acknowledge, in writing, the purchase or acquisition of a box of paperclips, much less shotguns, even in 1950.

7) I would suggest you give the alleged 1950's letter the Dan Rather "Microsoft Word" text test.

I look forward to pictures, but my guess is someone has put one over on someone in the chain of title, and has managed to turn a 50 buck gun into a 1000 buck gun with a little creative gunsmithing and fiction writing.

Of course, I could be wrong ,I have been in the past and likely will be in the future. Nonetheless, never forget "Caveat Emptor".

Regards

GKT

Last edited by Greg Tag; 12/27/06 09:32 PM.

Texas Declaration of Independence 1836 -The Indictment against the dictatorship, Para.16:"It has demanded us to deliver up our arms, which are essential to our defence, the rightful property of freemen, and formidable only to tyrannical governments."
eeb Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Sounds like a 16 that's been sleaved to a 20. Just a thought. If it was done right it's a nice shooter.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: John Roberts
Tell you what, guys. After some thought, I'm going to call bullsh*t on this one til further notice.
JR

Again.
JR

Be strong, be of good courage.
God bless America, long live the Republic.
Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.