September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (lagopus, KDGJ, SKB, David Williamson, ithaca1, 1 invisible), 222 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,935
Posts550,894
Members14,460
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

Pete,
I don't think gorilla glue is a good choice for this repair! It will not wick like the acraglass or "crazy glue", it foams and expands as it cures (requiring interesting clean up) and I don't believe it will color. Take your time, order the acraglas from a place like Brownells and do it right.
Bob Jurewicz

Sidelock
Sidelock

Gunsmith in my area uses a produced call ZAP. You can buy it in hobby or model building shops. Works way better then acraglas. Clamp lightly first then apply then tighten clamp be careful because this stuff finds cracks you didn't know you had and you could find yourself glued to your stock.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hi Camotrky,

ZAP has a whole range of glues.

I would bet the gunsmith you mention uses Pink Label ZAP.

Super glue works very well and will penetrate the crack easily.

JC

"...it is always advisable to perceive clearly our ignorance."ť Charles Darwin
Sidelock
Sidelock

I would pass on the Gorilla and use any two part liquid epoxy. Using lots of release agent I would also cover the areas of the head that absorb recoil.

bill

Sidelock
Sidelock

I don't think there is anything special about acraglas other than it is marketed for gun work, and very expensive per unit volume, and usually mail order for most of us. I have not been overly impressed with it.

Most all epoxies comes from big chemical suppliers and are then packaged under various brand names: West System, Mas, Raka, Simpson, Devcon, Acraglas, etc. I believe 3M manufactures their own (called System 3). They are all very similar.

For what its worth, you can get quality epoxy for much less cost per unit volume by buying it at a wood working store (Woodcraft, Rockler, etc), or better yet a marine store (West Marine for example).

You will end up with way more than you need, but the packaging is also better and you can mix it with handy pumps. The shelf life is very long (years). You will find all sorts of uses for the stuff.

The 5 minute variety in the twin syringes is not any good.

mc Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

i don't know if it has already been said but surgical tubing or heavy rubber bands will hold the crack together with out damaging your stock.i think acraglas s a good product and works well.but you can find small amounts of good epoxy at hardware and auto part stores that will work for your repair.mc

Sidelock
Sidelock

The beauty of the acraglas is that it comes with release agent and dye to match your stock. If you are going to take the time for a repair, do the job that will last a lifetime.

Rob.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have fixed cracks with an epoxy called Git Rot sold in Marine stores for boat repair. It is fluid and thin and is easy to get into cracks. Made by Life Industries Corp,N.Charleston SC. If it is possible to cross drill(1/8") the crack in the trigger plate inlet you could glue in some bamboo pins. These are made from shishkabob sticks bought from the super market. This makes the cross pins invisible and they are very strong in shear and hold to glue well. I did a Sterlingworth stock like this 2 yrs ago and it is holding up very good.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: mc
i don't know if it has already been said but surgical tubing or heavy rubber bands will hold the crack together with out damaging your stock.i think acraglas s a good product and works well.but you can find small amounts of good epoxy at hardware and auto part stores that will work for your repair.mc

The blue rubber strips nurses use to restrict blood flow, when giving a blood test, work great. I mentioned it to a nurse recently and she gave me a handful(lifetime supply). I agree that any of the slow curing epoxies work just as well as "Acraglas". I disagree(respectfully, of course) that Gorilla Glue or any of the "super glues" are as good as epoxy.

Drilling a hole at the end of a crack is an old remedy for glass and auto metal but I doubt that wood would respond the same way.

Last edited by Jim Legg; 01/07/10 12:08 AM.

> Jim Legg <

Sidelock
Sidelock

I use nothing but acraglas on gunstocks. It is formulated for use with oily wood. Nothing else will work so well and hold so long.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.