As am I with my 1960 era Sako Forrester L579 in .243Win. with its 22" Bofors Steel barrel. Kraut steel making is good, as was ours- whether in 1905 or 1945- but even wonder why in WW11 the Krauts went overboard to protect the Svedes-Jah? because Sweden has the best ore concentrations for both tool steels and stainless- and the Krauts used plenty of Svede ore for engine bearing grade steels and other special alloy needs of wartime ordnance--

Now in the USA during that same time, a small town in mid-central PA was a very high priority for the Krauts- if their plans to launch either long range bombers or missles from their subs had developed- Not Philly, Not Pittsburgh- Latrobe (Home of the greatest golfer of all time, IMO- Arnold Palmer) and Rolling Rock Beer- and Carpenter Technology Steel Mills- again, like with Sweden, that area in PA produced high grade ores.

We used almost exclusively Carpenter tool steels in my Grandfather's shop- oil, air and water hardening- they were one of the first to color code the bars for easier ID-and I see from a careful reading of my 1981 Brownell's issued Brophy book onLC Smith Specifications, Carpenter steels called out as first preference by both Hunter Arms Co.- and even post 1945 with Marlin.

I have 4 older graded pre-1913 LC Smith, all 12 gauge- I have yet to see a LC Smith in any of the gauges they produced with Krupp Steel. A friend has a BE 12 gauge Fox made in 1915- with Krupp Steel barrels-beautiful gun indeed..

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..