June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
2 members (Licensed to kill, Argo44), 393 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,574
Posts546,487
Members14,424
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 11 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 10 11
PA24 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: mike campbell
Originally Posted By: GregSY
So far the only valid argument against full chokes is the one about blowing apart game.

Provided you can hit it.

With spreaders AND the right load you can hit anything....unless your vision is shot.....(there IS a load for everything)...more range, leave the spreaders out....lighten the shot charge, bingo...no damaged birds.......

See PostOaks comments on page four (4).......People try to shoot way too heavy a load in the old guns IMO.......shoot with a charge that the gun was intended for and miracles happen......

Doug

Sidelock
Sidelock

Interesting post script.....

This morning I was pheasant hunting in IL, using my Remington Model 1900 (standard 'field grade')12 gauge with 30" barrels that left the factory choked F & F. Today's load was 1-1/4 ounces of #5's. I had the right barrel opened to IC, soon after I bought it. I also had a Pachmeyer recoil pad added, which brought the LOP to 15", which suits my longish arms.

ANYHOW...this morning the dogs pointed a pheasant, which came up about 4 yards away, and I shot it at 16 yards with the IC barrel. At the sound of the shot, another pheasant flushed on my left, about 35 yards away, and crossed in front. I switched to the second,(left), full-choke barrel and dropped it at about 50 yards. A perfect situation for the IC/FULL choke combo. As the dogs retrieved the two birds, I instantly thought about this particular board posting, yesterday.

"BARREL BUTCHERING" is clearly the wrong term....modifying or adapting seems much more appropriate.

And now there are two dressed pheasants cooling in the fridge......

JERRY

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: PA24

With spreaders AND the right load you can hit anything....miracles happen......

With the right chokes and a single load, I can hit anything.....and often do.

Last edited by mike campbell; 01/14/10 04:19 PM.

PA24 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: eightbore
You know, I don't for a minute think that most of the shooters who fool with the interiors of their barrels know how useless and pointless these modifications are for the purpose of hitting birds or reducing recoil. I think even fewer are aware of the harm they are doing to the resale value of their guns, because, to a man, they claim they are never going to sell them and they claim to care little about the value of the guns their widow will sell. I gave the example of the friend who ruined his NID 5E Trap. The same person had the barrels ported on a pristine prewar Superposed Lightning with twin single triggers. He was not confused about the benefits so much as he was uninformed about the value aspect. He spent hundreds of dollars reducing the value of his guns by more hundreds of dollars and not gaining a target along the way. He knows better now but can't reverse the damage.

Amen.....

Doug

Sidelock
Sidelock

One more and I quit.

If I buy a $30,000 pick-up, use it purposefully and make no modifications to it (in spite of the fact it might not be ideal)....what can I sell it for in 15 years?

If I buy a $1200 Sterlingworth, pay another $85 to open the chokes from IM/Full to say IC/Mod and waste another $70 to lengthen the forcing cones....and use it with contentment for 15 years, what can I sell it for?

Peace. Enjoy.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Barrel porting is why the Egyptians buried their treasures.

PA24 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Chuck H
Barrel porting is why the Egyptians buried their treasures.

It could also be what happened at Chaco Canyon.......

Doug

Sidelock
Sidelock

If you center the load on all your targets, full works just fine. I don't...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

I don't think Mike Campbell is playing fair in this debate. He would beat most of us shooting a .22 rifle while we shot our choice of shotguns. However, Mike, you have a good point. Most guys buying shotguns wouldn't know what was going on inside the barrels. It is hard to lower the value of a Sterlingworth by messing with the bores.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Well said Mike and there you go! Most of us who are trying to schlup together a decent live bird or clay gun based on a "classic" are not dealing with an AHE Parker O framed 16ga. Who cares if I "waste" a few hundred dollars to open & polish the cones & tweek the chokes of a 2 5/8" Francotte 16ga (even an Eagle Grade) or Parker VHE or Sterlingworth or LC Smith to have ability to shoot factory 2 3/4 loads?

A Springer Spaniel, a 6# double and a fair day to hunt.
Page 6 of 11 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 10 11

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.