September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (Tim in PA, Der Ami, liverwort, 1 invisible), 212 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,937
Posts550,912
Members14,460
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Wow! Thanks for posting. I wonder how they see the target? But then, who am I to talk? Quite a different style from the Lon Smith guns shown by Researcher.

Last edited by Walter C. Snyder; 02/19/10 12:55 AM.

Walter c. Snyder
Sidelock
Sidelock

"it seems to work for her in both games."

Gold medalist women's double trap 96' and 04' smile
Keep in mind Kim is only 5'4"

Corey Cogdell of U.S.A.

Richard Faulds has a less exagerated lean and neck extension

Last edited by Drew Hause; 02/18/10 10:39 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Most likely all these shooters are using guns with parallel combs, so the distance of the cheek weld back from the comb does not really matter as far as seeing the target. Drop at face and drop at heel is the same.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Also interesting that every one of them appear to be shooting Perazzis.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

IMHO, Richard's position gives him a full view of the target. The crawlers are looking through the very top of their vision and not letting their eye fully observe the target. But then, how many Olympic events have I been in---zero! so, so much for that opinion!

Walter c. Snyder
Sidelock
Sidelock

It has always interested me that most of the top skeet shooters that I have seen hold the elbow of their trigger-finger hand very high, almost an exaggerated position, in some cases. However, having been at sporting shoot with, and watched, the top Sporting shooters in the world I've never seen any of them do that. Watched Digweed, Faulds, Husthwaithe, Kruger, McGuire and many more, but none of them mount in that position. Neither do I, not that it means anything because I don't. confused

Sidelock
Sidelock

Some of these photos remind me that a while back I saw several of the famous traphooter Lela Hall (ca. 1940). I was appalled at her crawl and more so at how she hunched her shoulder. Not pretty. Effective to be sure, but not pretty.

Well, we've pretty well beat this to death. I guess it all just goes to show that there's someone out there that can make most any style work convincingly well. That's gotta' drive shooting coaches nuts.

Sidelock
Sidelock

One of the most clearly remembered things as a kid in my fishing village 65 years ago, watching the old-time gunners in blinds and gunning tubs, was that they leaned slightly forward and raised their doubles into line of vision, all sort of rounded at the top as if they were sneaking up on something. I don't recall any variance; maybe that's why they were all good shooters. I remember Old Monnie, the postmaster, taking 22 whistlers out of the air over decoys with his old black-powder double. Sometimes I think I saw the best of it.

Sidelock
Sidelock

http://www.la84foundation.org/SportsLibrary/SportingLife/1893/VOL_20_NO_20/SL2020015.pdf
Feb. 11, 1893 Sporting Life
MODIFIED GUN STOCK.
Something New From England Which Isn't Popular.
A representative English gun firm recently devised a new gun stock which is quite a novelty, but not likely to find favor with many sportsmen. The firm terms the new stock a "modified stock." This stock, while retaining the extreme drop at the butt, has a parallel bend along the face line from the comb to five or six inches back, giving the same alignment at any point between these limits, subject in some cases to slight modifications.
It is generally conceded that shooting is greatly improved when the stock fits easily against the face at the moment of sighting. This cannot always be obtained when the drop of the stock continuously increases from the comb to the extreme butt. As most guns used by American sportsmen have a bend of one and three-fourths inches at comb to three inches or more at butt, there is an increasing slope of about one-fourth-inch between these points.
It follows that in shooting a high-flying bird the face presses against the stock nearer the comb than when aiming at a low-flying bird or ground game; therefore, according to the flight, high or low, so the sight is taken at various distances from the comb and practically increasing or diminishing the bend of the gun at each shot.
English and continental sportsmen for years have used stocks parallel from comb to butt, but the extreme drop of guns which has prevailed with American sportsmen, although there is now a tendency to use straight stocks, has interfered with, the attainment of that desideratum - easy and accurate shooting.

Possibly a reference to what later was called a Monte Carlo?

Last edited by Drew Hause; 03/06/10 07:46 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

And Ithaca 5E thought we'd beaten this one to death!! smile

December 1 1900 Sporting Life
"Light Field Guns"
http://www.la84foundation.org/SportsLibrary/SportingLife/1900/VOL_36_NO_11/SL3611012.pdf

The drop of a gun stock is the most important feature of a field gun, yet how few men seem to understand it. Many men will buy a gun in a store with a 2 1/4 or 2 1/2 inch drop, and as it handles well, comes up quickly and they can look across the rib by dropping their head, they accept it as the proper article. Too often the gunner comes home without any game and cannot understand it. He blames his poor aim of the swiftness of the birds.
The fault lies with himself in not having a proper drop of stock. All or nearly all the shots in grouse, quail and woodcock in this country are low or close to the ground. Few shots on these birds are of the "overhead" or "driven" kind, as in foreign countries. It is plain that for quick, snap shooting or even deliberate aim, a stock of three-inch drop at the heel and two-inch drop at the comb is about the proper thing.
With a gun of these dimensions the shooter does not have to duck his head to catch a sure sight, but the liberal drop makes the rib come up to his eye instead, thus giving him a quick sight and a true one.

This seems to support the "lotsa drop = head up" theory frown

Last edited by Drew Hause; 03/16/10 01:55 PM.
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.