Originally Posted By: L. Brown 4. If the proper loads are shot, the older uncut guns shoot fabulous..... [/quote

If the old guns shot tight with older, pre-WWII shotshells, chances are they'll shoot tighter with modern shells.

VINTAGE DOUBLES:

My six doubles are factory original full choked, all factory short cones and the 16's and one 12 have factory short chambers......I load 7/8 oz. low pressure, 2.5" 12 & 16 Cheddite Hulls for all of them because I have found for over 50 years or so that:

A. They do not kick and create wood cracks
B. They do not tear up birds close in or far out
C. They shoot 50-60 yards just fine
D. They target-kill-break anything your 'eyesight' allows you to hit
E. They unfold in the original sharp cone guns to the same length as the rolled crimp paper shells of the past

F. MOST OF THIS GOES OUT THE WINDOW IF YOU CUT UP THE CHOKES AND CONES..... WHILE TRYING TO MAKE A MODERN AMMO GUN OUT OF IT

If one buys his ammo over the counter at Walmart or wherever or loads to the modern equivelant, then your comment about tighter patterns with modern ammo is correct. ***Point being, that so called 'modern' ammo is too heavy for the old guns IMO.....

That is why so many old doubles are running around with broken-cracked stocks.......but folks WILL continue stuffing strong loads in these old guns, just because they can, rather than learning how to shoot.......and thinking more shot equals higher scores or more birds.......really......hmmmmmm---

If you want a modern ammo gun, buy a new 'family truckster'....made for the present 'more is better mentality'.....

Different Strokes......For Different Folks.......Joe Wood is right.....

Doug