September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online Now
9 members (Der Ami, CJ Dawe, J.B.Patton, Birdog, bushveld, 3 invisible), 249 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,884
Posts550,433
Members14,454
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have several Remington double's in 16ga.and this one looks like a 12ga. maby a 16ga. My 1889 16ga. on a lightweight receiver has thicker sidewalls in the chamber area than the one in the picture. This I think is an original 1889 grade 1(no way it is 98+ condition) that someone refinished and blued the receiver also. From 2nd. picture look's like the lightweight receiver.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Shouldn't be any trick to tell gauge. But looking at the photos, I have to say this: It can't possibly be a case of Remington having made 20ga barrels and fitted them to 40 year old Model 1889 12 or 16ga receivers someone found sitting around the plant. Were that the case, the chambers would look much smaller and the chamber walls much thicker, in order to get 20ga barrels to fit on a larger gauge receiver.

Ted, you may be thinking of Nilo Farms in Illinois. That was a Winchester operation. I don't recall reading about anything in Ohio run by Remington. Seems I have vague memories of something out in Delaware, which would've made more sense given Dupont's location.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Lowell Glenthorne
Nothing like the experts sitting down for a crow supper - eh lads! Who wants seconds?
Now this gun could fall from the sky, and owd Lowell wouldn't know the difference - but youz guys.

He who squeels first could have to eat his own crow....before it's said and done.

Could this be an Ed special ?

Sidelock
Sidelock

I went to the gunsafe and pulled one of my Remington 1889's to compare bores.. I'm hoping for some info now myself. I have two of these, for more than 20 years. Never considered shooting them before. Both Damascus, both tight. What can I shoot if anything through these, factory or reloads. Can someone tell me how to put photos on this. I have taken a few on my digital, will send them as fast as I can figure out how.
Thanks

Lloyd: A lot of these folks are doubting that you have a 20 bore Remington. hammer gun, I am not a Remington expert, but in the know enough to tell if the gun is legit.. So I'll make my offer again. I'm only 30 mile from Logan, Ohio and could easily come and look at the gun.. If I had a gun of such rarity, I would want everyone to see it.. MDC

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Some of you fellas are rough on a hillbilly from Ohio. I've learned several valuable lessons on this posting. 1.Don't post w/o pictures. 2.Have all your info together (or easily at your fingertips) 3.have thick skin because some gals get their panties in a bunch pretty easily 4. learn how to use a digital camera.

Keep in mind that I drove 60 miles past my house after work to get these pictures, I've got 5 kids, it's holiday season, I have 2 jobs, and VERY SLOW DIAL UP INTERNET.

I'll do better next time. Gun's definetly not a 12, was told it's a 20 and looks like a 20 to me, might be a 16,(never owned one)but I'll show pictures w/ empty hulls in chamber and watertable markings as soon as I can. (for all you impatient folks that might be middle of next week).

Researcher at Remington society - did say to his knowledge "Remington never made a commercially available 20" I'm not trying to convince anyone that I found the only one on earth. I'm just trying to find out what I have.

Lloyd Purvis - Director of Collegiate Scouting
College Prospects of America
cpoaohiovalley@yahoo.com
Sidelock
Sidelock

Lloyd don't let it get to you. When it comes to rare American guns most of the folks on this website are from Missouri. "Show Me". There have been a lot of claims made in the past that didn't pan out. Everyone here would be tickled to death if you have what the letter says you have. Everyone enjoys seeing something in the flesh that the experts say was never made. No matter what it is if you like it, just enjoy it. If it is one of the rare ones so much the better.

Last edited by Mike Harrell; 12/30/06 06:27 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I'd just post the pictures.
...and the hell wiff 'em!
Btw, I bet you've got some PMs or Email offers to take that fake off your hands - hehehehehe

Last edited by Lowell Glenthorne; 12/30/06 06:39 PM.
eeb Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Fred - As to the strength of the Remington 1889, I reference the Fall issue of DGJ in which Sherman Bell tests a bunch of old damascus barreled SXSs, with bores of varied condition, with modern proof loads. He tested several 1889s and they just shrugged the loads off. Go buy some WAA Xtra-Lite 1 oz. loads and have fun. I handload for my 1889 16, but have shot low brass Federals. They are too good to leave in the safe.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Are these all 2 3/4" guns and am I able to see choke marked on the gun. I don't have a gauge for the barrels.

Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.