September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online Now
8 members (DSchrank, eeb, Jtplumb, LGF, Ian Forrester, 1 invisible), 242 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,857
Posts550,057
Members14,452
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Lloyd, thanks for providing pics - it's an interesting subject, and that's the best an internet forum like this can hope for is to further the knowledge of its participants. So thanks.

Also, Remington doubles are odd birds. My Model 1900, which I've posted about here before, has a couple eccentricities. First, the die used to mark it looks like it says "Remington OC" instead of "Remington CO" (See Semmer's book chapter on "OC" doubles) and second, the barrels are clearly marked as Damascus when in fact, they are not Damascus, but fluid steel. They were just mistakenly marked.

So, absolutely nothing would surprise me about something coming out of the Remington shop. My thought is that you probably have a refinished 1889, but who knows? Post more pics when you can - it's an interesting find, even if it turns out to be bogus.

DeWayne

Sidelock
Sidelock

eeb don't take it personal but I think that telling Fred to go shoot modern factory ammo through old guns without knowing what condition they are, is a little irresponsible. You might be right, they might hold with that pressure forever. You might be wrong and they fail the first time. Fred have them inspected by a qualified gunsmith before you shoot them. The piece of mind is worth the money.

Last edited by Mike Harrell; 12/30/06 08:04 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Fred has gone to the hospital, thank you all for your advice to him.......
sincerely,
Fred's wife

Sidelock
Sidelock

Well, it looks for all the world like a Remington grade 1 1889.

Lloyd thanks for the effort in providing the pictures. If you could, take another look at the gun. When you open it, there should a serial number stamped on the receiver. Also, when you take the fore end off there is a serial number. Do they match? Would you post them?

If you have a mic, open the barrels and measure across the chambers. What is that measurement? If you don't have one, do have some 20ga shells? Check to see how one fits in the chamber. Do NOT fire the gun with that shell. If this an older gun that has been restored in some way, it may not be safe.

Pete

eeb Online Content
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Not taken personally Mike. I'm sure Mr. Lowe approaches these things with a good dose of commensense.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I hope Fred is OK !

Mine's a tale that can't be told, my freedom I hold dear.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Fred's Wife- I hope nothing serious has happened to Fred. Please keep us posted about his condition.

thanks, Cary

Sidelock
Sidelock

Me too...I hope it wasn't caused by his old Remington and those modern shells he was advised to shoot in it.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm fine fellas, have to sleep now. Chukars in the morning, I'll use the Parker Repro 28 ga. not the Remington 1889 tomorrow.
I won't rush into this gun. But it is in such good shape that I'm sure it will be fine.
I'll have a few additional questions soon.
The "hospital" is the local pub. A friend getting ready for his 3rd marriage was having a little get together.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: eeb
Fred - As to the strength of the Remington 1889, I reference the Fall issue of DGJ in which Sherman Bell tests a bunch of old damascus barreled SXSs, with bores of varied condition, with modern proof loads. He tested several 1889s and they just shrugged the loads off. Go buy some WAA Xtra-Lite 1 oz. loads and have fun. I handload for my 1889 16, but have shot low brass Federals. They are too good to leave in the safe.

Fred

I can vouch for the Win. Xtra-Lite 1oz. loads. I have a light Brit game gun with 2 1/2" chambers. I've put about a box of these loads in it and they seem to be very mild. I know they are around 7200psi which is close to what I reload for this gun. Have fun.

Jim

I've never met a bird dog I didn't like.
Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.