Tom Martin, as I recall, the Smith try gun is the A.P. Curtis design. The Curtis Try Gun allows for cast adjustment of the entire stock, not just the butt and the comb/heel areas. However, that feature is unneccesary because the body doesn't know that the stock hasn't moved to the side as long as the comb/heel and butt are adjusted. Unfortunately, most adjustable butts don't go sideways. Maybe someone makes one that does. The most glaring defect in a try gun fitting is that the thickness of the comb/heel will seldom be the same for the try gun and the stock to be fabricated from the try gun dimensions. A try gun fitting is only a starting point. The customer should shoot the heck out of the new stock before it is finished. Mr. Curtis' try stock is a wonderful design as are most of his designs. For more than thirty years, I have used a Parker try gun that Mr. Curtis built in 1914. It does everything, except compensating for differences in comb shape. There is a picture of the Curtis Try Gun in the Elliot book on Lefevers. I saw that gun last year and it is pretty much identical to my Parker.