September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (Ken57, Jtplumb, playing hooky, Shelldrake, 1 invisible), 253 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,882
Posts550,426
Members14,454
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Hussey Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Found a little 28 ga gun made by C.G. Bonehill. It has 26-3/4" damascus barrels (nitro-proofed) and might be a fun little gun.

Can anyone tell me about C.G. Bonehill?

Around the steel no tortured worm shall twine.
Boxlock
Boxlock

You will find a bit of information here:
http://forums.gunbroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=164488

Hussey Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Humm, interesting. Sounds like $1,995 is at least 2x what the gun is worth.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Jay there is a large premium on 28ga side by sides right now. Almost double what the same gun in 12ga would bring. The Bonehills that I have owned have been good solid guns. The animals engraved on them were cartoonish but the scroll was decent.

Dig Offline

You would be very hard pressed to get a tidy Birmingham boxlock in 28 bore for that money in London today.

Bonehill was a large, established maker and even a basic-grade gun will be well-made and serviceable.

Of course, condition is key - especially the barrels.

Hussey Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks for the info. It is an interesting little gun. The barrels are perfect, inside and out. The gun was part of a collection of British guns, all of which were shot by the owner. The gun does have a couple of issues: 1.) the gun has been broken through the (very small) wrist and I would give the rapair a "C" grade; 2.) the outside of the breach of the barrels do not meet the outside of the fences. The diameter of the barrels is maybe 1/64" smaller than the fences. Hardly noticible to the eye but you can feel it.

Other than those two issues, the floorplate and trigger guard appear to be blued or blacked but the rest of the receiver is polished steel. Judging from the amount of wear, the gun has seen a good deal of time in hand. The forend is very small.

Anyone have any pictures of Bonehill guns?

Thanks again

SKB Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Don't assume that because the barrels are smaller than the breech that there is a problem. I owned a beautiful british gun by Thomas Woodward which was manufactured this way. Odd, but not unheard of.
Steve

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

I miss Monkey Jim.
Sidelock
Sidelock

NO, but how about some pictures of that little sweety!!! $1,995.00 for a 28 gauge C.G.Bonehill why can't I find this stuff!!!!

Hussey Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

No pictures, yet. It is actually a sweet little gun but it feels so small. I shouldered the gun and my right thumb was under my nose so I figured the LOP must be about 13" so I put a tape on it and the LOP is 14-/14" it is just that the wrist is extremely small.

Still not sure I want to spend $2K on this gun, but the thought of a 28 ga with damascus barrels is a tough one to get out of my mind.

If anyone else has some pictures of Bonehill guns, please share.

Thanks

SKB Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have a nice bonehill in the shop right now. Its an interesting gun, I described it in a post earlier this wewek. Its a lever cocking gun....odd and interesting. I'll get some pics up soon on GA.
Steve

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

I miss Monkey Jim.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Dig,

I have a James B. Warrilow, Railway Works, Chippenham, Wilts., 12bore w/ damascus barrels that I am having restocked. London proofsm 100% scroll coverage, and patterns wonderfully.

The only thing that I have ever found out about Warrilow guns is that Mr. Boothroyd was kind enough to write me that serial numbers seem to indicate they were made by Bonehill. In his book he mentions that Warrilow made a specialty of .360 guns.

I have only heard of 2 other guns with this name, do you have any more info?

Thanks, Rob

My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income.
- Errol Flynn
Hussey Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Quote:
Originally posted by SKB:
I have a nice bonehill in the shop right now. Its an interesting gun, I described it in a post earlier this wewek. Its a lever cocking gun....odd and interesting. I'll get some pics up soon on GA.
Steve
Steve,

What is lever cocking?

Thanks

Sidelock
Sidelock

Jay, Bonehill was a very large manufacturer of sporting arms and made them in all grades from plain export hammerguns to best quality sidelocks.Each gun has to be rated on it's own merits.This trade label might be of interest. Terry

Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought stupid,than open it and confirm.
Hussey Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

So, is $1,995 for a 28 ga CG Bonehill with 26-3/4" damascus barrels is reasonable in the condition I have described?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.