September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (Argo44, NCTarheel, LeFusil, ksauers1, 1 invisible), 221 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,934
Posts550,885
Members14,460
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I am hoping someone can answer this question, or refer me to where I can find this information. I sold a rifle on Gunbroker. I recieved a copy of the buyers FFL, and shipped the gun. I was told today that the buyer could not recieve the gun from the FFL because I had not sent a copy of my drivers license. I am reluctant to do this as my Drivers license has my Name address, SSN, DOB etc on it. The gun was shipped to Montna.Is this a state or federal requiremnt? Thanks for any help.
Phil

gjw Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Hi, I've sold a couple guns and also had to send a copy of my DL with it. I've also bought a couple guns from private individuals and they had to provide their DL to the FFL Agent I use. I have not had any problems with doing either.

Good question, I don't know if it is a Federal or state requirement.

All the best!

Greg

Gregory J. Westberg
MSG, USA
Ret
Sidelock
Sidelock

I believe the FFL has to have all that information in order to properly log the gun into his ATF required records.

Sidelock
Sidelock

There is no requirment/place in the bound book for a DL,SS number-or DOB , when booking in a gun,just name and adress (and FFL if availble).
If you don't want them to have that info just black it out.

Bet the same dealer does not ask grandma for her DL when he buys the grandpa's Parker for 50% of what its worth !

Hillary For Prison 2018
Sidelock
Sidelock

My local FFL requires that too. I've looked at the regulations on the BATFE site and can't find any such requirement. My dealer says the ATF agents told him he had to have a copy of a govt. issued ID to verify the name and address he put in his book. He's been through one of their audits so I believe what he says they told him...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

Mr. Carr:

All the FFLs I've used in Montana to receive shipments here either require a FFL from the originator, or a copy of the seller's drivers license.

I'd agree with David K. to just black out your SSN if that is the most sensitive issue for you. SSN aren't required for the transfer paperwork, but identification is when receiving shipments.

Regards,
Ben

Sidelock
Sidelock

It is not required that you supply a copy of your DL when sending a gun to a dealer for a transfer or for selling. Dealers have their own personal requirements that may want you to do this.

I am also amazed that so many dealers do not not what is required and what is not by ATF. Many dealers think that ATF requires a copy of the ffl from the shipping dealer. Thats just not true. The only requirement from ATF is the sending dealer must have a copy of the ffl.

I know one dealer that wants a copy with each gun you send him. I have sent him several guns and each time he wants a copy. I tried to tell him that only one is needed, but does not listen

Best

John Boyd

John Boyd
Quality Arms Inc
Houston, TX
713-818-2971
Sidelock
Sidelock

If I'm not mistaken, the copy of your drivers license is so the FFL in Montana can complete a private party transfer between you and the buyer. D.L. only, no social security #'s or any other nonsense.

Sidelock
Sidelock

it's a dealer by dealer thing. i always include a copy of my d/l right off but i black out the d/l # and my signature. name and address are public record anyway. texas isn't so stupid as to have SSN on the license.

i have had one dealer call wanting my d/l # and i gave him that over the phone.

if we sat and thought about how many data bases our personal info existed on and how many thousands of people had access to it we probably wouldn't sleep at night. when i lived in TN, i heard there was one teller at the credit union who searched accounts looking for husband material.

roger

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: fnb25
it's a dealer by dealer thing. i always include a copy of my d/l right off but i black out the d/l # and my signature. name and address are public record anyway. texas isn't so stupid as to have SSN on the license.

i have had one dealer call wanting my d/l # and i gave him that over the phone.

if we sat and thought about how many data bases our personal info existed on and how many thousands of people had access to it we probably wouldn't sleep at night. when i lived in TN, i heard there was one teller at the credit union who searched accounts looking for husband material.

roger

funny you mention that. I always made it a rule to never date bank tellers for that exact reason.
elementary teachers were off the list as well; too bossy.

“When faith is lost, when honor dies, the man is dead” - John Greenleaf Whittier
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.