Not trying to get into a pissing match on this thread but here is the thing. ellenbr photo link shows photos of an early Lefeux sauer with a s/n of 12763 on the cape gun. Owner states in the description that it has a Crown N. I believe that the "1940" number that is shown on the barrel may possibly be an armory inventory number, not a proof date. If that is the case, then the actual sauer s/n is likely the 12763 nunber shown on the tube, forward of the lug. If that is also the case then the 1871-1876 time period that ellenbr notes is applicable and here is the importand part...the Sauer s/n on the cape gun actually fits with what is currently known re. Sauer production. As an aside, an other item of special note on the barrels: "J.P. SAUER U SHOH SUHL" Note the 'U' is an abreviation for "Und" which is Deutche for "and". The very earliest Sauer guns are also ocassionaly seen with "I.P. SAUER" The "I" being the Deutche equivelent of "J".

Anyway and now back to Jani's gun. What do we know for certain? No Serial number. No Sauer trademark. It has a Crown R (Reproof). In addition I will ad the following from what I see in the photos: The fences are very tall and much different (much taller) than what I have ever encountered on early Sauer hammer guns. Also, what I see is a frame and lock that appears to bear characteristics of Austrian influence (for those that observe such things) Lastly the barrels are marked J.P. Sauer And(?)Sohn.

My lunch box theory presented earler in this thread while plausable is also very unlikely. We do know for certain that Sauer and Sohn did occasionally supply barrel assemblys and supply components for the trade. (The most noteable examples are those complete Sauer barrel assy's based on their 505006 patent supplied to Lindner/Daly and a few other makers)

I currently beleive that Janis gun is AUSTRIAN made with barrels supplied by Sauer (as noted by Daryl H) and reproofed (Crown R)at some time in its past. the interesting thing about Austrian guns is that there are Austrian made guns "out there" WITH OUT out serial numbers that were produced well after 1912. In my own collection I have a side lock made by August Bitner and proofed in 1915 WITHOUT a serial number. (I have the proof records from the Weipert facility)

Lastly, Jani I do not take offense at your previous post but would ask that keeping an open mind when it comes to "mysterys" such as your gun will lead us all to a greater understanding of German and middle European practices of producing guns. Jeff Stephens