Joe, I'll do the best I can to help you with your questions.

It's entirely possible to have a stock duplicated without damaging the original. I sent a stock to be duplicated to John Vest in Oregon a while back and mentioned to John that the original stock and forend were new and I would like to have them back with as little damage as possible. The original wood was sent back covered VERY neatly with blue painters tape. When I removed the tape the finish was as perfect as when I sent it. The duplicated stock was ! I can also recommend Gene Simillion in Colorado or Shane Thompson in Montana. Both of these men do great duplicating but I would cover the original stock myself because time is money to both men. John just did this a favor to me this one time. There are others that also do great work but these three come to mind first. You can find their contact information on the ACGG website http://www.acgg.org/ under "Current listing of Regular Members".

I hesitate to recommend wood supliers but a few come to mind, Ray & Cathy Richter (Quaking Aspens), Cecil Fredi, Steve Heilmann, Luxus (Turkish walnut). There are a lot of wood suppliers out there, some are good!

Doug Mann