September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (Walter C. Snyder, battle, eeb, shrapnel, susjwp), 436 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,931
Posts550,842
Members14,460
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Anyone ever buy from this guy? Good wood? Can I expect perfect layout? Nothing knocks my socks off, but the color looks fantastic.

http://shop.ebay.com/jearlbridges/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=&_trksid=p4340

Last edited by David Furman; 04/12/10 10:55 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I know nothing about this wood, but I've known J. Earl for years. You can trust him.

John

Sidelock
Sidelock

Should be nice stable wood- a few examples of bad grain flow thru the wrist. I dunno- fairly mundane wood, except for the origin. If I had a boxlock Uggie, I think these would be affordable upgrades.

I like kinda splashy wood on my restocks though, Doug Mann has spoiled me ..........
best regards,
JBP

Sidelock
Sidelock

I got a set a few months ago, brought it over to my gunsmith who said it was the real deal, Tessier, and not a bad deal.

I think J Earl could layout his silhouettes a bit better on some pieces, others were just cut wrong.

Last edited by Recoil Rob; 03/25/10 07:42 PM.

My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income.
- Errol Flynn
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: J.B.Patton
Should be nice stable wood- a few examples of bad grain flow thru the wrist. I dunno- fairly mundane wood, except for the origin. If I had a boxlock Uggie, I think these would be affordable upgrades.

I like kinda splashy wood on my restocks though, Doug Mann has spoiled me ..........
best regards,
JBP

I resemble that! wink

I bought one of these sets a couple of years ago and even though I haven't used it yet it appaers to be pretty nice wood. The one I bought is close to quarter sawn, nice side to side with some fiddle back going on. It certainly would be appropriate for an A or B grade Fox. JMHO

Doug Mann
Sidelock
Sidelock

I would encourage all buyers of walnut blanks to read Steven Hughes excellent discourse on proper blank layout and selection compiled in his latest book. The original articles can be found in back issues of Shooting Sportsman. Pay particular attention to his advice on being able to see the sides and ends of the blank; it's really difficult to know what you are buying otherwise.

Good shooting,

C.

Sidelock
Sidelock

David, I bought one to restock my French Gaitemal. It is a great piece of wood. I am not into the showy stuff and wanted to restock it with similar wood as it originally had. I would buy from him again if i needed it. Very dense wood.

Sidelock
Sidelock

CK, have sent you a PM.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I figured I would post this here for folks. I ended up purchasing a blank from J Earl and Charlene, and I couldn't be happier. My typical wood-buying experience has been a bit inconsistent and frustrating, as most folks can't be bothered to write back to you or return a phone call, answer a simple question, etc. It really seems as if sometimes they don't want my money, even when I'm ready and willing to spend a few hundred bucks. There are a few exceptions, but I'm talking about some of the better-known and respected woodsellers out there.

Well, not these folks. I emailed back and forth a number of times, and have to say their responsiveness and customer service was far better than I expected and better than I have ever recieved from an independant like this. Last monday I got an email with a UPS tracking number (never got that from anyone I've purchased blanks from!!), the wood arrived today and the blank is as-advertised and I feel I got more than my moneys worth. Just what I was looking for--not uber-fancy but good, dense wood with great color and perfect layout--at a fair price and with great service and a smile.

If anyone else is interested in any of their wood, I would not hesitate to purchase from them again.

Last edited by David Furman; 04/12/10 02:44 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Any of you fella's ever use Goby Walnut,I believe out of Oregon.....Any opinion's

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.