September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (Walter C. Snyder, Silvers, Hammergun, shrapnel, Roundsworth, 1 invisible), 380 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,939
Posts550,923
Members14,460
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#189139 05/17/10 04:00 PM
CTroy Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

'Search' doesn't reveal anything. Does anyone have any experience using, for example back boring reamers to open fixed chokes. I have a few guns that have been redone or refurbished so to speak that are begging to be opened. These are pretty much run of the mill guns (94 Rem, Flues). I'd like to shoot them occasionally but extra full and fuller than that are tough to take. And $45 per barrel is a little tough to swallow at the smith's.
Any alternative suggestions? I'm very open to and in need of advice.

mc Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

well if you screw up one barrel the 45.00 will look real cheep.just wait a little longer to shoot.the shotgun class is coming up in trinidad co,take the class you will have a good time. mc

mc #189150 05/17/10 05:37 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

We all look at things differently, I know, but IMO $45 per barrel for choke reaming is by an expert is well worth it. mc hit the nail on the head about the "cost" of a botched reaming job. If you plan to do a considerable amount of it in the future, by all means invest in some training and equip yourself with the right reamers to do the job. If you just need a couple or three guns done, I'd farm the work out. I've had a few barrels' chokes opened, and have always been pleased with the results.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
CTroy Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Guys, I appreciate your advice and admonitions and perhaps I should have been somewhat clearer. The advice I'm persuing is how to do the job, as oppossed to whether I should do it myself or not. I get a great deal of enjoyment out of fooling around with my aquisitions as well as using them. I am going to do it myself. The last time I did this I used an aluminum rod slotted to hold emery cloth and a drill. It took forever.What else you got for me? All appreciated.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Here in Mexico we do not have expert gunsmiths to open a choke, so I do all my work in this arena.

You need: 1)A good quality variable reamer (actually you need 2 to open a 12 ga from full to skeet because diameters) and a handle, 2)a digital caliper, 3)a telescopic gauge (last 2 items to take mesures from the choke you are working), 4) some pork lard (I think other lubricants also work, but I use that because an advise from an old machinist) and 5) some fine sandpaper (600 girt).

Procedure:
1) Adjust the reamer to cut 0.001-0.002" (never more than 0.002")
2) Apply a little pork lard in the blades of the reamer
3) slowly cut the choke by hand motion (the reamer autocenter so you do not cut uneven as many people say)
4) Clean steel particles cutted from the reamer.
5) Repeat until the desired choke is obtained.
6) With the sandpaper polish a little (or as much as you desire) to abtain a nice finish (normally the cut from the reamer is nice, so you do not need to sand a lot.

I opened some chokes, both single barrel and doubles, by this procedure with always very good results.

Best,

Last edited by Jose Fernandez; 05/17/10 07:24 PM.

Jose M. Fernandez
Sidelock
Sidelock

I was employed as a machinist for 35 years & in the course of those years reamed a lot of holes. I can assure you that an adjustable reamer will not center automatically in a hole "Unless" there is already a parallel section for it to follow.
Try the above advise on a taper choke & be prepared for it to hit anywhere but where you look. You can expect good results on a conical parallel choke, just be certain & discern which type you have prior to taking out any metal.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

Miller hits the nail on the head exactly. I reamed a lot of holes myself so I can recognize an expert.
Nial

Sidelock
Sidelock

I go a lot lighter on the cut, .0005 feels good, I use lard oil for cutting fluid and a parallel section is a must. I use a micrometer,telescope gauge and and an internal dial indicator and lots of pattern paper. Patterns give you the best answer.
bill

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have done quite a few, for an amateur, with good results. I now use a long, centering handle from Brownell's that uses two pilots, in the bore. It works from the breech end and I added a chamber pilot, made from a plastic snap cap. I use an adjustable reamer and a half-turn on the adjusting nut gives me about .002-.003". When I'm about .001-.002" from what I want, I finish it with a brake hone type tool, also from Brownell's. Like Ctroy, I do it because I want to. It's not brain surgery. In the earlier years, I did several from the muzzle, using a guide I made from a 3/8" rod with a plastic jag on the breech end, also with acceptable results. I like to put the barrels in a vise vertically, so there is less likelihood of leaning toward one side or the other. Some had a parallel section originally and some did not. The Lefevers have a continuous taper with no parallel section. This, I think, is where the bogus claim of a continuous taper from the chamber story came from.
If you want a pro, I'd certainly recommend Mike Orlen.

Last edited by Jim Legg; 05/17/10 10:30 PM.

> Jim Legg <

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have read that reaming chokes can possibly set up a chatter or harmonic vibration that can loosen the ribs on doubles. Is there any truth to this?

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.