June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
9 members (griz, SKB, Lloyd3, eightbore, Borderbill, 1 invisible), 183 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,630
Posts547,160
Members14,431
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks for the thread, it's very informative and sorta makes you want to try it yourself (starting? of course, with a gun you might just as well throw away).

I've got a question concerning chrome-lined barrels - can you open them, too? I've been told that if you damage the lining, the corrosion is going to get under the lining, where you can't possibly clean it out, and is going to ruin the barrel - is there any truth in that?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Jim;
As I understand your post you were providing a positive means of assuring the reamer aligned with the bore. I presume you do understand I was not speaking of this, but my caveat referred to simply reaming with an unguided reamer, depending upon it to "Allign Itself". If only very light cuts are taken it will generally do a pretty good job of this when there is a parallel section to guide. In the case of the taper choke there is of course nothing to serve as a guide.
Statements made in Lefever catalogs actually said their chokes extended from "Breech to Muzzle". I suspect this was simply a poor choice of wording on the part of the writers, but many writers, without "Finding out for Themselves" have repeated over the years they were choked for the full length of their bbls. I have never seen one so made or have any knowledge of anyone else who has.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
CTroy Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Alot of good information here. Thanks folks. The wheels are in motion and I've ordered the adj reamer and a D reamer + blades and a long handle. I'm a little vague on 'parallel surface' so if one of you could further explain I'd appreciate it. I like that idea of modifying a snap cap to use as a guide. I have the rest of the tools. I have a small lathe to create bore size guides. I'm going to make kinda like reverse pilots. Here are the first three candidates. 94 Rem, Flues and an AJ Aubrey.

CTroy Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

2 Piper. I too was surprised to learn of the Lefevre being a full length choke. I knew that my H grades / 2 1/2"s were indeed tapered full length but I thought it was a flukey thing. My bores above the cones are .747 and taper to the last 2" inches where they dive to IC an XF right and left repectively.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I do not want to argue with the experts; I am just an "amateur" gunsmith basically because I need to be my own gunsmith, but I never have a problem with an off-center cut opening a choke.
Perhaps just plain luck or, as you said, the chokes I opened have some parallel at the end of barrell (Winchester 101, Browning A-5, Ugartechea sxs, Remington 870 and some others I do not remember now).
What I noticed is that my 3 reamers (Expanding reamer made by Taylor and Jonnes, England) H6, H7 and H8 size, have some conical shape in the blades. If you measure them in the tip, you obtain about 0.005" less diameter than in the center or at the end. I think that this conical shape in the reamer helps to "autocenter" the blades and cut straight.
If you do this cutting by hand I can not see how you can cut off-center, because the reamer has the blades opposite to each other, so one blade can not cut if there is some "pressure" from opposite side.
I do not want to be a "hard head", but I still think an adjustable reamer is made to "autocenter" and made parallel cuts.

Anyway good luck with your shotgun´s choke opening proyect, you will enjoy to do it yourself and I am sure you will do in right!

Best,

Jose M. Fernandez
Sidelock
Sidelock

What kind of comic was that in? If the ribs are loose then any work can loosen them further. I've bored hundreds of chokes and never had it happen.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Jose;
The two major types of choke constriction encountered are the conical/parallel & Taper. On the first type you have a cone section which reduces the dia of the bore which is followed by a short parallel section at the muzzle. On the later the entire choke section is a cone ending at the muzzle.
Imagine two bbls both having .729" (18.5mm) bores & choked to .690" (17.5mm), one having each type of choke. Then imagine inserting a solid rod which will just enter the choke to a depth equal to the length of the choke from the muzzle end. If you then tried to "Rock" that rod the one in the parallel choke would be un-movable, but the one in the taper choke could rock until it hit the angle of the choke wall, as it only has that one point of contact.
I can assure you that an adjustable reamer can do the same & will cut at what ever angle it happens to be started in this case. After the first few cuts create a parallel it will then tend to follow that parallel whether it happens to be in line with the bore or not. Those first few cuts however are totally dependent upon "EyeBall" alignment to the outside of the bbl, one can't see the bore while doing the reaming.
Of the guns you mention I know that some of them had & highly suspect they all had the conical parallel chokes, which would account for your positive results.
I do appreciate your input on this & hope my explanation clears up what I was saying. Successful operation of one of these adjustsble reamers for this task is dependant on taking only very light cuts & being very careful "Not" to apply any sideways pressure. If enough sideways pressure exists to hold the cutting edge into the meatal they can cut on one side only.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

2 Piper:

Thank you for your explanation.

I just had good luck when I cut those chokes! No change for point of impact, but wider patterns that helps a lot to be a better shotgun shooter.

Best,

Jose M. Fernandez
CTroy Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

2 Piper: If I were to insert the adj reamer from the breech and as I insert it I place turned bore size 'pilots' at intervals, do you think that there would be enough support/guidance to keep the reamer centered in the bore/choke?

Sidelock
Sidelock

The PILOT BUSHINGS go on the REAMER not the reamer drive handle. You will need a smaller "pilot bushing" in the forward position on the reamer and a larger "pilot bushing" on the rear position of the reamer. For more details call me at 703-855-1110.

Good Shooting To You, Jent

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.