July
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
8 members (eeb, eightbore, earlyriser, Guy Ave, FallCreekFan, 1 invisible), 174 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,644
Posts547,349
Members14,434
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
LGF Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have a BLE Jeffery shot and ball gun with the same barrel and chamber dimensions, blue floorplate and a serial number in the 25000 range. Said to have been made in the early 1930's, but my letter to the keeper of the records a few years ago was not answered. I'll try again.

Sidelock
Sidelock

On the right barrel in front of the flats but behind the provisional proof stamp ,there appears to be a date stamp .Crossed pikes over a letter. Can't make it out on the photo but A= 1920/1921 and so on .

Sidelock
Sidelock

Quote:
Sir, please elaborate. What is Delcour-Dupont? How come the date 6.06.1921? What does crossed scepters mean?

Delcour-Dupont was a Beglian source for tubes and if I'm looking at the "Crown" over "D" stamps correctly, the tubes would have been sourced from Belgium. If I'm not mistaken, and I submit to the Belgian proofmark authorities, on fluid steel tubes the "Crown" over "D" for Delcour-Dupont was registered in 6.06.1921 but I'll admit that I haven't checked damascus-barrels.com or Drew's site to check for sure. The crossed septers are the crossed sabers on the underside of the right tube which has been identified as a date code.

Terry, good eye on the chamber length.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Saad Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks a lot for Delcour-Dupont explanation.

What does the number 17796 on bottom rib indicate?

There is a stamping JA under left barrel. It is on extreme right corner of the 3rd pic. I have seen this same stamping on another Jeffery and that Jeffery was stamped Fred Williams on both sides of receiver. What does it indicate?

Last edited by Saad; 06/28/10 02:54 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Saad:
Here's a couple of references on Delcour-Dupont that I alluded to: http://damascus-barrels.com/Belgian_Trade_Marks.html

http://www.littlegun.be/arme%20belge/artisans%20identifies%20d/a%20delcour%20dupont%20gb.htm

"JA" would have been the mechanic that fitted the tubes to the action.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Saad
Thanks a lot for Delcour-Dupont explanation.

What does the number 17796 on bottom rib indicate?

There is a stamping JA under left barrel. It is on extreme right corner of the 3rd pic. I have seen this same stamping on another Jeffery and that Jeffery was stamped Fred Williams on both sides of receiver. What does it indicate?

Raimey is correct. The barrels were sourced from Delcour-Dupont. During this period Delcour-Dupont was a large supplier of barrels, both fluid and damascus, to the trade. This was just prior to a huge upheaval in Belgian wages, which adversely affected their gun trade.

The number on the under rib is most likely just a factory job number. The JA marking as Raimey suggests, is an internal reference from the factory. It most likely represents the tradesman who did the final striking of the barrels in Birmingham.

By the way, Herakles is the Greek name that we know as Hercules (the Roman version of the name). Yet another marketing term.

Pete

Sidelock
Sidelock

The JA will be Joseph Asbury who was a barrel filer. Lagopus.....

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ah yes, Joseph Asbury would be the fella. What is/was the name of the device that was used to profile the tubes set? I think it was something like an inverted "U" that moved on a rail, forward and aft, with the tubes set centered under the device, profiling the sides?

Lagopus, were you not closely involved in the decimalisation of Britian in 1971 and if so when are you going to help us tote up our ciphers and give us yet another lesson in converting Schillings?(L.s.d.) to pounds?

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Saad Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

This is amazing! So Mr. Joseph Asbury was a barrel filer with Jeffery or with the Birmingham gun maker who made guns for Jeffery?

It seems that he worked for long time because the other Jeffery I mentioned was an older gun with proof marks of period 1896-1904!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Joseph Asbury was working in the Birmingham gun trade fron around 1890 up until the 1930's, possibly as late as the beginning of the last war circa 1939. I have a Tolley 2" chamber 12 bore made by Skimmin & Wood who owned the Tolley name and also a Jeffery 16 bore with the JA stamp on the barrels.

Raimy, I can help with the decimal (which should really be centimal) currency conversion from pounds shillings and pence as I was born pre the currency change. 12 pence to the shilling and 20 shillings to the pound therefore there are 240 pennies to the pound. A shilling is the equivalent to 5 new pence. Then to complicate things you may fine some old guns priced in Guineas; a guinea is £1 and 1 shilling or £1.05p. A florin is 2 shillings (10p) a crown five shillings (25p) and half a crown 2 shillings and six pence (12 1/2p) half pence pieces have now been dropped.

Most measurments are the same but I was also taught to work in rods, poles, perches and furlongs. Weights are the same except when weighing pigs which which are weighed in scores which are units of 20 pounds. The kids today have it easy but still can't do it without pocket calculators. Any conversions and I will happily oblige. Lagopus.....

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.