June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 251 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,636
Posts547,234
Members14,433
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Sidelock
Sidelock

Lagopus:

Guineas, it was that for which I was grasping. I'd say units of distance of my forte with a rod, pole & perch being the same thing. But if you want to get CONfused, try to convert the Vara without knowing the units of the original intent. Interesting how folks, farmers for the most part, were able to covert from a perimeter or 2 sides of a tract to acres. It is possible that the conversion was based on the fact that 2 furlongs by 2 perches was 1 acre. Thanks for the info.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

ellenbr, glad I hit the right note with guineas. They are seldom used in prices these days but were commonly encountered pre decimal. Farmers seem to have an entirely different system altogether as with scores for pigs. Sheeep counting has its own unique system too. Lagopus.....

Sidelock
Sidelock

Also there was the Hundredweight. This rolled over to the US in some instances, wrought iron Blacksmith's anvils being one which comes to mind. These were normally stamped on their sides with 3 sets of numbers, 1st hundredwt's (112lbs), next ¼ hundredwt's (28lbs) & lastly any remaining lbs. Thus an anvil stamped 1 2 3 Would weigh 112 + 56 + 3 = 171 lbs total.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

Never thought of that; the fact you don't use hundredweights and stones. We weigh human bodies in stones (14 pound to the stone) and pounds not just pounds as you do. Since we went into the European Union though they want everything to go metric. The latest is that they want us to buy eggs by weight (grams) not by the dozen or half dozen. Maps are the oddest as heights are in metres and depths in the sea are still given in feet.

Getting off topic. Sorry! Lagopus.....

Sidelock
Sidelock

Lagopus, you have only scratched the surface of Old English premetric measurements used in the seed trade.
I have before me a lovely copper-bound wooden measure used by seed merchants for selling seed by volume.
It is stamped VR so it's Victorian, inspector's stamp, when filled with seed peas, for example, after filling the measure would be "struck" that is, using a wood "striker" 1" in diameter, the striker passed over the edge of the measure and levelling the seed in the measure.
Now for the confusing part, the wood is branded:

1/8 bushel, 1/2 peck. (So a peck is a 1/4 bushel).

I have a collection of these wooden measures, starting at 1/2 pint all the way up to a nice 1912 half bushel. I never did find a bushel (English, not US) before I emigrated to Canada.
And the hundredweight of my youth weighed 108 pounds (lbs)
I have my grandfather's farm records from the 1920s, makes interesting reading, if not confusing.
I plan on donating all this stuff to the local Faculty of Agriculture as my kids are not a bit interested, and if I die before doing that it will all go to the dump, probably
Mike

Sidelock
Sidelock

Mike, In my youth we farmed acres of potatoes,these spuds were packed in 100wt =112 lbs;sacks.There were 20 of these in the english ton which =2240lbs. The ton U.S.A. = 2000 lbs;this difference in the designation of the ton has lead to some under estimating the the rating of English proof pressure marks. For example a British proof test marked 3 tons per square inch = 6720 pounds per square inch and not 6000pounds per square inch!

Roy Hebbes
Sidelock
Sidelock

The Peck measurment perked my ears up. As a boy in North Carolina, we had numerous Peck buckets around the farm and,if I remember right, some 2 peck baskcts.

Saad Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Luckily my request for Jeffery records was replied and yesterday I received in my mail a letter by the owner of records in USA with a copy of original ledger page. The ledger entry says that date of manufacture was 5 April 1928. Here is scan of that page,

Magnified scan of entry

Please comment on "made by", strange order of dates and the difference of handwriting with other entries.

Last edited by Saad; 08/04/10 04:57 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I don't know the dates are odd as the entry is day/month/year(not month/day/year) and the next column is price. Maybe the original ledger entry person/transcriber took the week off and his/her replacement had a small deviation from the common one??

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Last edited by ellenbr; 08/08/10 08:25 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

In most of the world the proper order is Day/Month/Year the USofA makes a bit confusing when doing business out side of the states by using Month/Day/Year.
Cheers,
Laurie

falling block
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.