June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
3 members (Wild Skies, buckstix, 1 invisible), 226 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,574
Posts546,515
Members14,424
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: chopperlump
My vote goes for the Baikal (though it is a little lumpy) and definately one of the CZ's by Huglu. I have a 28 ga. and love it. Keep the price under a grand. Chops

I got to handle one of the CZ doubles at a NRA banquet in Mesa,AZ last Saturday nite. Sighting down the barrels was like looking at the Atlantic Ocean on a stormy day. I swear my 10 year old grandson could do a better job of draw filing. frown
Jim

The 2nd Amendment IS an unalienable right.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Who makes the Gold Elite? S&W or outsouce?

Sidelock
Sidelock

The Gold Elite is made by the Turks under contract w/ Smith and Wesson. They are really good guns. Based loosely on a Mackay Brown trigger plate action gun. Some purists may scoff at them, but ask yourself this, would you rather have a new gun that can shoot any ammo you can put in it, or a shot-out 80 year old gun that should only be shot with special order low pressure ammo? I'd rather go hunting! IMHO

-Shoot Straight, IM
Sidelock
Sidelock

+1 on CZ, but get one with fixed chokes. Otherwise it's like sighting down a blunderbuss.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: improved modified
Some purists may scoff at them, but ask yourself this, would you rather have a new gun that can shoot any ammo you can put in it, or a shot-out 80 year old gun that should only be shot with special order low pressure ammo?

And how many "shot out 80 year old" Foxes have you owned?

I have a Sterlingworth 16 gauge made in 1924 that came from Maryland. From the looks of it when I got it it must have been used as a paddle by a Chesapeake Bay oyster man. At 86 years old it still on face, snaps shut with authority and handle "store bought" ammunition with ease.

Last edited by TwiceBarrel; 09/24/10 09:08 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Quote:
"I have a Sterlingworth 16 gauge made in 1924 that came from Maryland. From the looks of it when I got it it must have been used as a paddle by a Chesapeake Bay oyster man. At 86 years old it still on face, snaps shut with authority and handle "store bought" ammunition with ease."

I have a one year older(1923) 12ga Sterlingworth I've owned for over 40 years that also continues to function flawlessly. It digested numerous cases of high base "Duck Loads" for years before I or anyone else knew any better and still closes like a bank vault. The barrels are also properly draw filed as any good hardware store gun of this period would be.
Jim

The 2nd Amendment IS an unalienable right.
Sidelock
Sidelock

No waves on these barrels; Huglu 2002 20 and barrel regulation is smack on. But all have the slight tube buldge.

Last edited by Patriot USA; 09/25/10 12:06 AM.

Don't sacrifice the future on the altar of today
Sidelock
Sidelock

I know a lot of guys who have old doubles that haven't needed any work. That said, it is the exception, and not the rule. If it weren't, guys like Kirk Merrington, Hugh Lomas, Dennis Potter, Steven Dodd Hughes, etc, the list goes on, would all be on food stamps, and, they 'ain't.
I've got one old one, that got the big fix, and while I love it to pieces, it isn't everybody's cup of tea.
Know thyself, before buying new or old.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

I agree with the used, good,older is better lads here.
But to be fair, Chop's did specify "New"
If I had to keep it under 1000 for a New one, I can't think of one
that I'd be proud to own
And I have to love a Gun that I shoot...so I love my couple of old ones ...Greener 1901 Steel Hammer, & 1926 Belgian (Britte) SLE
Franc

Sidelock
Sidelock

I think the best entry level new SxS is a CZ. Those who are looking at the barrel when they are shooting have the focus on the wrong thing. Those bulges are unsightly to be sure, but the Bobwhite has quite a following.

That said, I also wouldn't buy new when the used market is so good.

Rob.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.