June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
9 members (j7l2, Edm1, Borderbill, Argo44, 2 invisible), 289 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,575
Posts546,527
Members14,424
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Boxlock
Boxlock

Originally Posted By: Krakow Kid
... NEVER LOAD THE BARRELS FROM THE POWDER FLASK. NEVER! Always pour the charge into a powder measure of some type, whether homemade or manufactured. Otherwise you risk having a bomb go off in your hand and how would you feel about your gun then?

A 19th century practice I have read of it to load "from the hand" - measure with the flask, pour the charge into the cupped palm of the other hand, then pour the charge down the barrel from the cupped palm. It is convenient in the field and I have done this occasionally, but I normally use an intermediate vessel other than my bare hand.

Regards,
Joel

Last edited by Joel.V; 09/29/10 12:32 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Jerry V Lape
Homelessjoe, if you know what you are doing you wouldn't load from a flask.

You evidently don't know the history nor development of the English powder flask.

Sidelock
Sidelock

There was a lot of unsafe practices going on during that period. I remember a story reprinted in the ‘Field’ where a man shot himself accidently while pulling his gun out of the back of a wagon by the muzzle the trigger must have caught on something and the gun went off. His gun would have had to have been place in the back of the wagon at full cock in order for this to happen. Crazy stuff!

And Ballistix999 is shooting an original Westley Richards, so he has a pretty good shotgun there.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have to say I agree with idea of not loading directly from the flask. While the flask shown does have a flash protection gate who wants to test it out!!! it only take one grain of powder preventing it closing properly to cause an explosion. It does make much more sense to load into another container before pouring the powder into the barrel - at least if the worst happens you will only get a singed hand - but at least you will still have a hand.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I hear you fellas I won't load from the flask. In fact I've bought plastic phials and preloaded some with powder and shot of equal volume. Plan to shoot it at a pattern plate this weekend to see what it's doing!
T

Sidelock
Sidelock

You should manage to hit that!!!

Sidelock
Sidelock

If you ever decide to use that WR to shoot wood pigeons, or any bird that allows you to shoot and reload from the same location (as opposed to walking up birds), you should make you a device that I made many years ago.

Start with a section of conduit (thin-walled tubing) that is of sufficient diameter to allow your loading rod to slide into it. On one end you should create a flare, or bell shaped end, to allow the rod to slip into it easily and without a lot of fumbling. Hammer the other end flat, then grind or hammer it into a point to facilitate pushing it into the ground. It should be long enough that when the loading rod is inserted into it your ball (or in my case a doorknob) handle will rest on the flared end before the lower end of the loading rod comes in contact with the pointed end of the tube..

In use you simply push the pointed end of the tube into the ground using the loading rod (which is inside the tube) as a handle to push on. It becomes a loading rod holder that is right beside you and only a few inches below your waist level for convenience.

Wonderful accessory for fast reloading on a dove shoot.

Stan

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

B999, everything you get with a muzzleloader is a trophy and a sense of accomplishment so good luck!!

This I got with my 'Kentucky' rifle, even though it’s custom built here in the "Colonies", it’s still no match for that Westley Richards of yours!
That stupid expression I have on my face is my normal look, sorry can't help it!!! smile

Sidelock
Sidelock

Treblig, it looks like you have a fine "Kaintuck" and a nice trophy. Congratulations!

One thing that worries me is that traditional ml shotgunning seems to be "falling off", a bit, on "this side of the Pond". While sidehammer guns are still being sold I see fewer and fewer indications that such guns are either being taken seriously or used extensively. In addition, gunsmiths who repair and/or upgrade ml shotguns are becoming harder and harder to find. For example, I now know of no one who "jug chokes" muzzle loading shotguns in the traditional way, anymore.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Dingel, which side of the pond are you? That's a mighty fine trophy you have there Treb. Keep shooting that ML. Just found a case for mine!

T

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.