I'm a Vintager member and shooter, so I've never had to pay the gate fee, but I think its crazy to charge visitors who want to learn about our sport $20 each - daily - just to check us out. That's no way to encourage new people to join us.

I know one person who brought a car full of guests this year to introduce them to the Vintagers who were pretty put off when they were charged $20 each. The same applies to people who want to check out the vendors.

That's no way to attract new people, and the Southern and Great Northeast SXS shoots don't do that. Neither did the Orvis Cup this year.

There were more main event shooters this year, and it was no coincidence that the main event fee was lower this year, which was a good move. More evidence the lowering the price helps increase attendence (and ultimately revenue). Now that needs to be applied to the gate and vendors as well. I have no problem with the Vintagers making more money, as a member, I like it, but I want them to do it by growing the organization and sport, not in a way that chases new people away.

... Also, I don't see Pintail Point's location as the problem. Each November over 10,000 people find their way next door to Easton, MD for the Easton Waterfowl Festival and gunshow. That's not the problem with attendance.

Last edited by DGM; 09/30/10 02:31 PM.

"When you have to shoot, Shoot! Don't talk." - Tuco