[quote=Small Bore]..........................'The Grant hammerless sidelock side-lever is perhaps the most beautiful of the guns made in the 1890s. Engraving of full coverage scrolls, fluted fences and flawless lines combine with damascus barrels and finely figured wood etc etc. Unfortunately many have ejectors with coil springs which are total bastards when they go wrong! Try and find one with Southgates.'

Diggory is quite correct on both points of beauty of the Stephen Grant guns and the difficulty of making right the Stephen Grant patten ejector system. It must have taken at least 40 hours more work to make the complete Grant ejector system than what it took to make the Southgate ejectors during original making of these guns. Having myself repaired the Grant ejector system including making new ejector sears, new underbolt links, and even one time a new tumbler (because it has a bottom cam to activate the ejector system) I can assure you that it is indeed a difficult system to repair; and whilst difficult it is also a lesson in mechanical motion transfer--what Americans refer to as "Rube Goldberg".

I wish Diggory well in his new endeavor.