June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
8 members (coosa, LRF, ksauers1, ithaca1, 2 invisible), 350 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,619
Posts547,063
Members14,428
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

I've a friend in Lincoln, NE, who is a great shooter. He uses fixed chokes. He tells of a hilarious sporting clays shoot where he was the first shooter: He stepped up and shot all ten, and as he was walking off the station; someone asked "What chokes did you use?" He said "skeet & skeet." He said the portable power screwdrivers went berserk changing chokes. On the next station, he ran 'em all; and the question came again....so he said "full and full." He said you could hear the buzz buzz of the portable choke changers running behind him.
It's a great, funny story.
Sam Ogle, Lincoln, NE

Sam Ogle
Sidelock
Sidelock

Amen, Last Dollar...Amen

Sidelock
Sidelock

If he had said "cylinder bored" would the hacksaws have come out?? grin grin great story!
Jim

The 2nd Amendment IS an unalienable right.
ben-t
Unregistered
ben-t
Unregistered

Yes things have changed a bit over the years and most of the reason can be found in the adage "follow the money". Today I read an article about a couple of guys who wrote a book on grouse hunting and would like to start a tv show on upland hunting. It made mention that here in PA the number of grouse hunters has been cut in half in the last ten years. Talks about GPSs and maps and all the good stuff you can buy(didn't actually say buy) that a grouse hunter needs. You know the kind of stuff a mentor (dad) use to show a son or daughter except with a compass and map. I'm sure the guys are doing grouse hunting cause all the walks for cures are shutting down for the winter.
Also an article on how there's and organization that wants to unite the consevationist hikers, bikers, and rock climbers with the hunters and fishers. Thinks they all may agree on a increase in the hunting license fees? I'm certain the hikers, bikers and rock climber are solid on that one. Can't wait to see how the lead shot issue brings everyone together!
Lastly I remember an article about a women nonhunter who had an elk hunt booked for her, by the magazine, so she could see for herself what real hunting was all about. She and her guide chased around through the Wyoming elk country and finally found a good bull about 400 yards out. The women dropped down on the ground oragnized herself to a steady hold with her rifle then pronounced the hunt a success without taking the shot. Implications that it wasn't needed. I remember thinking that if she was going to do that why not try to get 200 yards closer- at least?
Awh sorry. One more. Letter to Field And Stream. Guy says if you aren't going to wait for trophy antlers on a whitetail you shouldn't be in the woods cause its important for healthy deer management. Well best I can make out a young buck with fork horns has the same genes it will have when it gets a "trophy" rack and those game managers keep selln those doe tags so as the kids say or once did: "was up wit dat"? I don't think meat hunting sells as much stuff though? Come to think of it grouse don't have big antlers either?

Last edited by ben-t; 10/25/10 04:13 PM.
LGF Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Our entire economy is based on convincing people to buy junk they don't need. Shooting the TV is an effective cure.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Quote:
Our entire economy is based on convincing people to buy junk they don't need.

Case in point:
I looked at a Perazzi Sporting clays gun several weeks ago that had 21 choke tubes with it.........WTH????

Dodging lions and wasting time.....
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

On the Antelope trip mentioned, I was sharing my truck with a woman, who despite all of the gimcracks had missed SIX antelope. On the 7th, I said, "leave all that crap in the truck, get out, rest on the bed and shoot. If you havnt shot by the time I count three, I'm gonna kick you right square in the ass". She shot at the two count, 207 yard kill....I wonder if she learned anything...

Sidelock
Sidelock

Friends:
Not much I can improve on with these comments. Just that i never even look at the choke of a gun I pull out for a round of clays, and seem to do a passing job with all... including cylinder.

The last elk I shot was stone dead from a .30/06 at about 250 yards. Used a fixed 4X scope for decades and never wanted more.

Gimmicks keep the manufacturers going. The good shot learns by shooting within his limits. And is always careful to respect the game at any range. The rest is just commerce.

Best, Kensal

Sidelock
Sidelock

If it gets peopel into hunting, great.
but most of it is not needed.
remember, wayback, they call scopes new fangled. and bolt action rifles, and pump shotguns, and ..............
technology is the current rage. it keeps progressing (??) But in the end, its trigger control, breathing and sight picture.

Brian
LTC, USA Ret.
NRA Patron Member
AHFGCA Life Member
USPSA Life Member

Sidelock
Sidelock

As part of my Hunter Education classes I teach compass, map and GPS (really just an introduction to these subjects as I am time limited.) Of the approximate 500 students I see each year, about half are adults. Only one in 50 knows how to make even the most basic use of a compass. Map reading of topo map is even worse. About half of the adults have GPS - but I haven't found one yet that really knew what the combination of all three could do for them. Most didn't even know how to properly setup the GPS. It is truly pathetic how little outdoorsmanship remains.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.