June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
4 members (eeb, John E, grant1907, 1 invisible), 268 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,620
Posts547,065
Members14,429
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
gjw Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hi all, was wondering what your thoughts are on this one:

http://www.safarioutfittersltd.com/EnglishPage20.htm

The gun was made in 1932 and proofed in Birmingham.

So.........Good price? Any comments at all are appreciated.

Thanks and all the best!

Greg

Gregory J. Westberg
MSG, USA
Ret
Sidelock
Sidelock

I think for 7K, I would want that buggered screwhead repaired.

Mine's a tale that can't be told, my freedom I hold dear.

Sidelock
Sidelock

C'mon man, 7 large for a sleeved gun with buggered screws, and really no eye popping or outstanding features.. and just by looking at the pics...I'll bet if you grabbed the gun by the wrist and give it a shake, you'd hear or feel the barrels rattle a tad. I like Safari Outfitters, Niles is a really cool guy to deal with, but there are better deals out there on 7 grand guns. Greg, by now, with all your questions over the last couple of years, I would think you would know a good deal when you see one.

Dustin

gjw Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks all, I'm not buying, but I'm trying to get a base of info for the future, just in case. I agree the price may be a bit high, but I also don't see a lot of 16b SLE on the market.

Can anyone post some examples of a good "eye popping" 16b English SLE in this price range? I'd appreciate it if you could.

All the best!

Greg

Gregory J. Westberg
MSG, USA
Ret
Sidelock
Sidelock

Greg, Wilkes was a London maker. Seems odd to me that a Wilkes gun would have original Birmingham proofs, assuming the proofs to which you refer are the original ones and not for the gun post-sleeving. If the original proofs are Birmingham, then I'd suggest the gun was not made by Wilkes, but rather FOR Wilkes by workers in "the trade" in Birmingham. That's not necessarily bad, but it does mean you would not be buying a REAL Wilkes. Don't know enough about Wilkes to know how often they put their name to guns made for them.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Larry I have seen a couple John Wilkes boxlocks that were just what you mentioned, it might hold true for (some) sidelocks also.

Mine's a tale that can't be told, my freedom I hold dear.

Sidelock
Sidelock

You'd be surprised how many Best guns were built in Brum. All the research I continue to take in says many top London makers used Birmingham trade which were simply some of the best in the World so it doesn't matter to me really...If it's a Wilkes it's a Wilkes because wherever it was made it was made to a standard that was acceptable or beyond the makers criteria.

Having said that it does seem a tad expensive for a sleeved example. I'd sell my Lancaster Sidelock for that which I think is a nicer gun and has original barrels. smile

T

Last edited by Ballistix999; 10/29/10 10:47 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

If you are willing to take a minimum 3 thousand dollar hit out the door...go for it.

gjw Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hi all and thanks again for the replies. Wilkes while a London maker also had a shop in Birmingham that was closed down in the early 30's. The gun could have been either proofed in Birmingham and finished in the London shop or completely made in Birmingham.

There is an article in the current DGJ on Wilkes, well done and informative.

Now you have my curiosity peeked. So what do you think is a fair price for this gun? We have Joes opinion.

Again, thanks!

Greg

Gregory J. Westberg
MSG, USA
Ret
SKB Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

"Can anyone post some examples of a good "eye popping" 16b English SLE in this price range? I'd appreciate it if you could."

That is the issue, real good 12 bores are in the 12K+ range, small bores command a premium. I know this gun, figure this as a starting price point for a good quality small bore SLE

http://www.schwandtclassicarms.com/Cashmore%2016%20063.jpg

it is at schwandt arms

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.