June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
1 members (Jimmy W), 257 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,621
Posts547,073
Members14,429
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10
Sidelock
Sidelock

I use grease for hinge pins, certain lock parts, spindels, hooks & where the reciever meets the forend iron. I prefer the Pro-Shot Pro-gold, but I also have a tube of the shooters choice "high-tech" red grease. They both do the job extremely well.
I subscribe to the notion that if you can see the grease, you've probably used too much.
I think any type of modern grease is better than what was being used when most of our guns were designed and made, that type of "grease" mostly being a mix of petroleum jelly and highly refined mineral oil. Some traditional gunsmiths-gunmakers still to this day use this mixture!!
I stay away from any type of oil that contains PTFE and silicone based lubes. I think these products are harmful to a fine shotguns wood and do not believe they provide any advantage over extremely good quality mineral oils (NYOIL for example) and highly refined, clear synthetic oils.
On a side note....J.M. Brownings oil/lube of choice was 30wt motor oil. He designed his A-5 to work using that oil and most all of his automatic weapons were lubed with 30wt....at least that is what HE used.
Most old gun companies recommended the use of 3 in 1 oil for their shotguns, some manufactures even packaged a little bottle of the stuff along with the gun. Others recommended Singer Sewing Machine oil, which is nothing but highly refined, extemely high quality mineral oil.

Use grease, or don't. Noboby should really care less what you are using on YOUR guns. Grease does have its place on a gun, just like oil has its place on a gun. Its been that way for a long damn time. Grease picks up no more dirt and crud than oil, the key is to change the grease or oil often..very often. Do that and you'll be just fine.

Dustin

Sidelock
Sidelock

Some years ago there was a lengthy discussion of this topic on NitroExpress.com in regard to double rifles. Some pretty good information changed hands then. Some of you might want a peek at that thread:

http://forums.nitroexpress.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=21207&page=0&fpart=all&vc=1

Curl

Sidelock
Sidelock

On my vintage doubles I use either Sperm Whale oil of Ken Owens Hinge pin grease....it's according to how I feel that day.

Best to keep the parts clean and use whatever sparingly.

Sidelock
Sidelock

When I used to study in tech institute I worked in one laboratory of this institute at the same time. This laboratory reseached different lubes with different additives such as soft metals. One of the best additives for steel-to-steel contact was copper. There is some effect named Selective Transfer. It means copper in lube precipitales on steel surfaces and then copper molecules tranfers from one steel surface to another, but both steel surfaces remain the same and without any wearing. EP number was very high for these kinds of lubes and bearings life lasted several times longer, then bearings with regular lubes.
I guess these kind of lubes would be ideal for gun hinge pins.
You just need to add a bit of this lube on friction surfaces like hinge pin and hook, to make several open-close operations untill friction surfaces become slightly red (copper), then wipe all grease away and go ahead. Just to add some light oil in future and repeat procedure, if all copper comes off from steel.

Geno.
Geno #208515 11/09/10 09:28 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Copper???...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hey twice barrel:

The problem with putting PTFE in your oil, as explained to us by several industry experts, is that PTFE is a solid.

Like I said, if you bothered to read it, you would have caught a few things. If you had been paying attention the last decade or so, you would have seen the red flags put up all over the place (not just in motor oil) about the failure of those claiming benefit with PTFE in lubrication applications to put forth any documentation of their claims.

It hasn't been done to this day-zip, nada, zero.

I can't help your stupidity (as you put it) but, if you need a quest to prove otherwise, show some evidence that PTFE ever helped anything but a frying pan.
Good luck in that quest, by the way-Dupont couldn't even do it. And thay actually have something to gain by proving it.

P.T. Barnum was right. Again.

Best,
Ted

Birdog #208520 11/09/10 10:50 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Like what you read? I use it for aircraft landing gear bearings and shotguns. I'd probably just use Mobil 1 if I didn't have the 28 on-hand as there is not a lot of difference.

Hillbilly lube theory - Enough is good, more is better, and too much is perfect.

Sidelock
Sidelock

What do suppose the shear number is on sperm whale oil?

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Teddy are you on the sauce again? You must be to not understand that there is NO relationship between what happens inside an internal combustion engine operating at 260 degrees Fahrenheit with rotating speeds exceeding 3200 revolutions per minuet and what happens between a hinge pin and barrel hook at ambient air temperature and rotating speeds of a maximum of 12 partial rotations per minute.

If you don't understand that then there is no place for you in this discussion.

Quite frankly any corrosion inhibiting organic or inorganic solid or liquid lubricant that will adhere to metal will work fine to lubricate a hinge pin and barrel hook. Some just more in vogue than others.

Teddy you might try spraying a little solid film lubricant inside your beloved Remington 31. It will really slick that action up.

Sidelock
Sidelock

CptCurl, I just looked through the forum you posted and found one reference to 'Outer's Gun Grease', which is what I use. It came with a gun cleaning kit I received as a gift 40 years ago and it has lasted a long time! Cheers!

GMC(SW) - USN, Retired (1978-2001)

Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.