September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online Now
8 members (bushveld, David Williamson, azgreg, Drew Hause, 2 invisible), 204 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,909
Posts550,643
Members14,458
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#20602 01/16/07 02:28 PM
CraigF Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Marrakai's wonderful website http://www.hotkey.net.au/~orrs/Marrakai brought a few questions to mind...
How has the Aussie Gun Control laws impacted you fellows. Are you still allowed to own bolt action rifles in .303 calibre? just what falls into the catagory of contraban?

CraigF

Last edited by CraigF; 01/16/07 02:30 PM.

Ask not for whom the dog barks, it barks for thee...
NRA Life Member
Sidelock
Sidelock

It a pitty genuine "Crocodile Dundee" lives so far away, or I would hire him as a guide for a hunt.

hap Offline

No, sorry, can't hire a dead guy- Aussie Gov. killed him- because he wouldn't turn in his guns, the way i heard it.

Hap

Hey, whooah! Don't write us Aussies off yet!

The situation 'down under' is not as dire as many of you will have been told, but it's not smelling like roses either.

The various presiding governments had been trying to grapple with the 'problem' of a flood of cheap military semi-autos entering the country, mainly from China, for many years. A number of rampage mass-murders, culminating in the Port Arthur massacre, finally provided them with the political opportunity to ban the importation and ownership of self-loading centre-fire rifles outright. A so-called 'buy-back' was invoked to strip the shooting public of this class of firearm. Unfortunately self-loading rim-fires, along with pump and auto shotguns, were caught up in the net as well.

Note that 'occupational' users of these classes of firearm were unaffected, and that bolt-action, pump, or double rifles, and 2-barrel shotguns were also untouched. There was a raft of other 'administrative' restrictions as well, such as mandatory range attendances for some licence or firearm classes, mandatory safe storage standards, de-activation standards for assault-rifle collectors, etc. Some of these 'reforms' are welcomed but most of them are designed to 'stuff people around' and ultimately force the participation rates down.

Although I probably own more firearms than any 10 other people, I had no pump or semi-autos registered for sports shooting, so I had a lucky escape.

A few years ago, the Government decided to go the same road with hand-guns. Nothing above .38 calibre is allowed for sports-shooting except the disciplines of 'Cowboy Action' and 'Metallic Silhouette'. Short-barrels were outlawed, and magazine capacity on the semi-autos was restricted to 10 rounds. Once again however, 'occupational' users were unaffected. This time I had to shuffle a few items on and off my Collectors' Licence, but surrendered nothing. It was a great pity though, as I enjoyed shooting my various Webley .455s and a Colt New Service revolver in centrefire competition.

As it stands today, there are no restrictions on the ownership, use, capacity, or calibre of any bolt-action, double, or single-shot rifle, nor any bolt-action or break-open shotgun. CraigF, you dont wanna know how many .303s are in the larger of my 3 safes!

When I wish to hunt, I grab any rifle I please and simply head 'out bush'. I mainly chase boar and buff, no hunting licence, no tags, no seasons, no bag-limits. Fill yer boots!

Our waterfowl season in the Northern Territory is 14 birds per day for 4 months, comprising no more than 7 geese and no more than 7 ducks per day. The Government hunting reserves include a couple of the best goose camps within 50km of my home.

We're doing all right!

Boxlock
Boxlock

They have made it hard for us,the guns they have banned are semi auto and pump shotguns,and semi auto rifes.Also every firearm is registered and to buy a firearm you must submit a permit to purchase and wait at least a month (cooling off period) before taken it home.

achilles:
That waiting period only applies to the first firearm purchased in a particular class, in my home state. Bit silly to have a 'cooling-off' period for your fifth .303, for instance! I believe other states are looking at winding that back also.

While the shooting sports may be surviving well in Australia, it needs to be said that the way in which the Howard Government went about confiscating its citizen's private property was despicable. The very idea of a government 'buying back' something that it never owned in the first place, is ludicrous. There's no doubt that the actions of our Federal Government were unconstitutional, but there was no power to challenge it.

Hopefully our Prime Minister has had his fill of vilifying free citizens who choose to own and use sporting firearms for recreation, but sadly I doubt it!

CraigF Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Marraki~
You're living the life most of us can only dream about!
My only link to the LandDownUnder is a Men-At-Work cassette and a custom rifle built on a Commonwealth of Australia BSA Martini Cadet action.
Thanks for clarifying the AU gun restrictions.
Craig

Ask not for whom the dog barks, it barks for thee...
NRA Life Member
Sidelock
Sidelock

Appreciate the situationer, Marrakai.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Marrakai has given a very good account of our gun laws and the Port Arthur thing, what has not been discussed is that Bob Hawke a Labour Prime Minister in 1983 signed a memorandum of understanding with the United Nations to disarm the population of Australia by the year 2000. Hawke tried to introduce this very close to a general election and the outcry was so great that they abandoned it and of course they were re-elected, his successor Paul Keating tried the same move but again close to a General Election and it was again put into the too hard bin. All the time The UN are putting pressure on our Government to honour the letter of understanding. John Howard was only in power 4 weeks when the Port Arthur thing happened and as he would have 4 years for us to get over it the legislation was rushed through. There was the initial buy back and then 5 years later the pistol buy back and reports are there will be a buy back every 5 years so we are due for one now. Make no mistake the B,Turds have every intention of getting our gun over time.

Hotrack

Life is too short to drink cheap wine
Sidelock
Sidelock

Marrakai has given a very good account of our gun laws and the Port Arthur thing, what has not been discussed is that Bob Hawke a Labour Prime Minister in 1983 signed a memorandum of understanding with the United Nations to disarm the population of Australia by the year 2000. Hawke tried to introduce this very close to a general election and the outcry was so great that they abandoned it and of course they were re-elected, his successor Paul Keating tried the same move but again close to a General Election and it was again put into the too hard bin. All the time The UN are putting pressure on our Government to honour the letter of understanding. John Howard was only in power 4 weeks when the Port Arthur thing happened and as he would have 4 years for us to get over it the legislation was rushed through. There was the initial buy back and then 5 years later the pistol buy back and reports are there will be a buy back every 5 years so we are due for one now. Make no mistake the B,Turds have every intention of getting our gun over time.

Hotrack

Life is too short to drink cheap wine
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.