June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
2 members (Stanton Hillis, LGF), 340 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,611
Posts546,971
Members14,427
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#210932 12/27/10 12:20 AM
whitey Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Does anyone know of a real good brand of. Stock making chisels.Or even a good used set. Please Pm or email whanson@plainstel.com

Last edited by whitey; 12/27/10 12:20 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Ebay has some good chisels of all types up for sale. The older Buck Brothers and some of the other english makes are good. Stockmakers usually modify or make their own special purpose chisels. The dog leg chisels used to get in really tight spaces and scrapers used in the barrel channels. You have to be fearless enough to take a good chisel and make it into something that will really do what is needed. Jerry Fisher used to sell some special purpose chisels or maybe they were scrapers. SDH would have a good handle on what is needed.I have about 200 that I have collected over the years and some were from gunsmiths that had modified them in novel and job specific ways.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Long paring patternmakers chisels and dogleged ones work well.
They were used in the BSA stockmaking dept in Birmingham UK when I was learning there in 1966.
Martin

Sidelock
Sidelock

Mot sure what you mean by "good stock making chisel". A good chisel is about as good as the guy sharpening it. I've got cheap and I've got expensive and there is not much difference when they are sharp. I just have to sharpen the cheap ones more often.

I have made a number of chisels for special applications, but none of them are any good if they aren't very sharp.

A good place to buy chisels is at local auctions. You can generally buy them cheap and alter them to suit your particular purpose. But again:....they must be sharp, really sharp.

If you are doing a lot of gunstock work, a couple of "cranked" chisels are very handy.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The chisels being referred to as "doglegged" are actually called "swan necked". The title stems from their use, as they were first develeoped for clearing waste from the bottom of mortices.
I have Witherby chisels from 1/8th through 2", and a number of Japanese pairing chisels, and I prefer a medium length chisel with a decent length handle, and an ultra sharp blade.

Most of mine are socket handled.

The old harangue attributed to Abe Lincoln goes, " If I were given 6 hours to fell a tree, I would spend the first 4 sharpening my axe." And so it is with chisels and hand work.

Out there doing it best I can.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Actually, "doglegged" refers to the crank necked chisels used by patternmakers or the similiar ones produced in Japan that have a steeper angle.They come in all sizes from 1/4" up to 2" and in straight chisels and in and out cannel gouges.Buck Brothers was the big producer of these at one time. Lots of them show up on ebay.

Sidelock
Sidelock

There were many early manufacturers of chisels RHD45. The nomenclature depends on where you stem your training from. And where your teacher stemmed their's from. Shipwright, sashmaker, carpenter, lutier?.
Before I placed an order somewhere, I would go to a flea market and buy a bucket of junk chisles. I would learn to shape and sharpen them, and then visit a Woodcraft, or other woodworking store on a saturday morning and meet the chisel devotees.
It is the same amount of work to transform a $1000.00 blank into sawdust as it is a $25.00 piece of walnut. YMMV

Out there doing it best I can.
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

There are so many different types of chisels you may need to complete a gun stock that it's hard to make a recommendation. If you are interested in inletting chisels, I prefer very small ones. I bought several many years ago, when I was building muzzleloaders, for inletting locks (sidelocks, very similar to shotgun sidelocks), stock inlays, etc. at Friendship, IN at the NMLRA national matches from a fellow that made them by the name Van Dreische, I think. They are very small chisels of all shapes that are easily sharpened to a razor edge and are easily controlled for fine work. They are palm chisels. I'm sure there are others for sale that are as good or better.

Let me stress that I am not a professional stocker, but have done some in my time and really like the tiny palm chisels for inletting. Others more qualified may well disagree. I am certainly no authority on stocking.

Stan

P.S. I'll try to get a photo of some of them today and post it on this thread.

Last edited by Stan; 12/27/10 02:21 PM.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
whitey Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks fellows. Whitey

Sidelock
Sidelock

Find,borrow or by what ever means possible get the book "The making of tools" by Alexander G. Weygers. This will give you a flying start into making your own in the manner and style that will fit your needs.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.