May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 219 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,556
Posts546,277
Members14,423
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
Sidelock

Actually, IF you had read what I posted, I noted it came on strong post WWII-I never said it wasn't used prior, and I noted that "usually" it was used on lower grade guns at that time. A 1946 vintage DARNE would have been among the first DARNE guns finished that way. That was my point.
As Miller noted, the bone pack produces a deeper case. "Just as well" your words, would seem to imply the two methods produce equal results, not the case at all.
If you've never seen a gun with flaked colors, you are simply ignorant, which can be corrected with some insight from someone with more experience. Check out this picture of a gun with flaked colors:
[img]http://www.imageuploads.net/ims/pic.php?u=39559eHIOu&i=191587[/img]

[img]http://www.imageuploads.net/ims/pic.php?u=39559eHIOu&i=191588[/img]

You need to get out more....

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Let me wipe the egg off my beard, Ted, and tell you I'm 56! I just never saw any guns with that "hardening" before. You mention some "lower end guns" used that finish - that may explain it. I grew up in the biggest castle in Indian Orchard and was raised with only the best of the best of EVERYthing, snif sniff. Mayhaps one of the butlers had a gun like this, but I'll never know. Father had to shoot them dead for wrinkling his best suits. By the way, where is my friend Lowell Glenthorne?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Note that in either case the Colors are superficial, being only at the surface. The Case is the depth to which carbon has penertrated & alloyed with the steel, allowing it to harden at the quench. Carbon penertration is a combination of temp & time. I am not certain what the absolute maximum is for either method, but as normally done the charcoal method results in a deeper case than the normal Cyanide method. The loss of color is purely cosmetic & in no way affects the integrity of the steel beneath.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

Sure is ugly, though...I think Lowell might be on border duty, he said he wanted to go.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Teddy that frog gun looks like something with painted on colors that easy Ed would be peddeling.

Last edited by TwiceBarrel; 12/28/10 08:58 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Agreed, the latest pics, which shows the receiver much closer up than the first shot Ted showed, is rather like a finish akin to cheap "japaned" enamel of the 19th century. But the first pic just took me by surprise, the gun was farther away and my eyes saw the finish more as colors and NOT coloring, if you get my drift.

I still am, however, planning on getting a pair of shoes with this cyanide treatment.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Glad you learned something...Don't mention it.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Well yes, of course, implicit in my words is the "thank you" for furthering my knowledge of all facets of these guns we love.

Actually, truth be told, I think I still would give the nod to the cyanide over the Art Nouveau silver & gold deal shown on another Darne.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I wasn't actually referring to you....

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

By the way, Kid, the FIRST gun pictured is a 12 gauge R10 that I own, built circa 1946. The SECOND and THIRD pictures are of a mid 1970s or so R10 20 gauge that Galazon has been trying to peddle (unsuccessfully) for quite some time.

The colors on gun number one are higher quality and better work than on gun number two, which, is typical of Darne (and other guns) built in two different eras. Gun number two is far from the first cyanide case colored gun I have seen that has flaked off colors.

Inspite of what you may have read elsewhere.

Best,
Ted

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.