Crojac,
I haven't lived in the Chicago area since 12/2006. My favorite gunsmith when I lived there was located at Carters Gun Shop in the small (tiny) town of Shabbona IL, maybe 80 miles west of Chicago. There phone number is 815-824-2354. I always found their prices to be extremely reasonable and they did a repair on a 20 gauge Nitro Special for me in 2003. The gun needed a firing pin. They custom made and installed the firing pin for me for around $50-$60. Over the years they also removed a barrel dent and they fitted any number of recoil pads for me (I'm tall and need a 15" LOP). They used to charge $30 to install pads and always did such a nice job I never even considered installing a pad myself.
I hope this helps. BTW Carters was always a neat place to visit, it was in an old run-down building and it was like going back in time when you stepped through the door.
Steve
PS I wish I knew the gunsmiths name, he was a nice guy but pretty much kept to himself in his shop in the back and let his counter man handle the business up front.

Last edited by Rockdoc; 01/19/11 12:11 PM.

Approach life like you do a yellow light - RUN IT! (Gail T.)