September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (Drew Hause, Karl Graebner, SKB, playing hooky, MattH, 1 invisible), 539 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,934
Posts550,852
Members14,460
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#21376 01/21/07 12:02 AM
gjw Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hi all, just thought I'd throw this out for some discussion/ideas.

What SxS would you buy if limited to $1000.00 with the following specifications:

16ga

POW grip

Ejectors (NO extractors)

Fixed or Choke tubes (IC/Mod)

SST or DT

26" barrels

Please no exceptions to the above. I just want to see what you can come up with.

Thanks!!!!!!

Greg

Gregory J. Westberg
MSG, USA
Ret
Sidelock
Sidelock

New or used, Greg?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Both new and/or used. Inquiring minds want to know. And, I don't care about the ejectors and would extend the question to a 28 bore. Jake

R. Craig Clark
jakearoo(at)cox.net
Sidelock
Sidelock

New: CZ Ringneck (not sure if it has ejectors)

Used: If you search you could find a decent Euro ejector gun for under $1k. Ejectors makes it a tough search though. Good luck.

Imagination is everything. - Einstein
gjw Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hi folks,

New or used is ok

Ringnecks have extractors

16ga only

try to give a maker/model

Thanks!!!

Greg

Gregory J. Westberg
MSG, USA
Ret
Sidelock
Sidelock

Pretty sure there's nothing new out there that fits that description. You'll find prewar European 16's with those characteristics (primarily Belgian or French, since you specified POW--most German guns are either straight or PG), but as indicated above, just about all of them will be extractor guns. Can't give a maker, because most of them would be "guild" guns--although I've seen Verney-Carron 16's like that. Also Francotte, but they're well out of that price range. Maybe older Spanish, by someone like V. Sarasqueta--but those would also be nearly all either straight or PG. Change ejectors to extractors and POW to either straight or PG, and you have way more possibilities. Either that, or spend more money.

Sidelock
Sidelock

IMO, your dollar parameter is unrealistic for getting what you want, particularly a 16 with ejectors. Even if you find a used X it's likely to be in the category of "you get what you pay for". Possibly you can find a modern Savage "Fox namesake" 311 in 16 with ejectors... I think they came in 26". That's the only double gun that comes to mind right now. But then again it won't have the POW grip configuration. I think you are against a brick wall unless you find an obscure Euro gun, and then you're going to have trouble getting parts if you need them. It might be better to increase your budget to the $2-3k range and find a good American ejector 16. Silvers

I AM SILVERS, NOT SLIVER = two different members. I'm in the northeast, the other member is in MT.
Sidelock
Sidelock

"No exceptions allowed” made it difficult for me to find anything but a few "close but no cigars." I limited my searches to shotguns that are actually for sale that I found on the Internet. I was stumped, but some of these close matches might just help someone in the market for a 16 gauge that is close to what you are looking for. As others have suggested it appears the ejectors are going to make it hard to find, but even if the inquiry allowed extractors, I had difficulty finding anything because of the POW grip, 26” barrels and choke requirements.

I was curious because the shotgun you described has characteristics similar to an extractor shotgun I purchased earlier in the week for $300 and is presently at the gunsmith for a new firing pin. My shotgun is a 16 gauge, 26 ½” barrels, Mod/Full and POW grip. I can see why you asked the question as I found my 26 ½” 16ga with the POW grip to be a delightful handling shotgun. I will likely leave the chokes as they are on mine, because I found the shotgun was nicely (not overly tight) choked.

In new shotguns, the CZ Bobwhite (straight stock) and Ringneck (pistol grip) miss the mark because of the POW requirement.

http://4thehunt.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=64294774

As did a dandy little Rota 16ga-for reason of just about everything else save it is a 16ga SxS:

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/conten...p;cm_ite=netcon

Far closer to what you are looking for are a couple of guns in auction (with prices and reserves unknown for the moment):

Noble with IC/C (otherwise very much what you describe, 16ga, POW grip and 26" barrels), very likely to sell within your budget:

http://4thehunt.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=64308681

Ithaca 16 with 26" barrels, POW grip choked M/IM:

http://4thehunt.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=64483165

Sidelock
Sidelock

I was thinking the same thing....think about what kind of car you could get for $1000. It likely wouldn't be much, and the same usually goes for guns, unless you are the type who could take advantage of the little old widow down the lane, and sleep well on it. I've seen that done, too. You are perhaps a decade and a half late looking for a 16 to sell for less than the same gun in 12.
Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

hi.....I 'm sure I've seen some that would fit your limits on Gunsamerica.com...can't remember what they were , but as Larry said mostly Belgium /german guilds..or Simson..Sauhr(sp)?
Check thads scotts site....I bet with a good hunt you might come darn close...these will be plainish field guns.Hunt around for an older gun..though getting your EXACT wants might be tough ,but see what you find.
Personally I'd rather have a 50year old gun, than a moden second hand one.
I will have a look around the sites & let you know if I find anything...would you bend to 28" bbls? & perhaps extractors & pistol grip?....if you could, your chances might go up a bit
good luck
Franc
Just looked at thads site saw 3 16s a Kummer, a Simson & a Sauhr,allunder 1000, but all have 28" bbls & pistol grip....with a hacksaw & wood rasp you could be in buisiness....I bet theres acouple out there

Last edited by Franc Otte; 01/21/07 10:45 AM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.