September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (Silvers, shrapnel, Roundsworth, sharps4590, 1 invisible), 371 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,939
Posts550,923
Members14,460
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

This is the system I worked out for myself. I've shared it over the last few years, but havenot yet put it into published print.

Dig and similar guys handle enough guns and see enough commerce to develop an intuitive knowledge of "whazit worth?" Those of us who are mere mortals need a "jump start" value guide to get into the ball park on values.

Brand Value must, I say, must be separated from the issue of quality. Trying to associate quality with a name is a dead end. BV1 Makers’ Names – Price Factor = 8

Boss, Holland & Holland, Purdey, and Woodward

BV2 Makers’ Names – Price Factor = 6

Westley Ricahrds, Dickson, Rigby, Grant , Beesley, Powell, Atkin, Churchill, Henry, Lancaster, Evans, Watson, Wilks, Greener, Boswell, Gibbs, and Lang

BV3 Makers’ Names – Price Factor = 4

Rest of the British Trade and top Continental (Bury, LeBeau, Masquelier, Francotte, Brancquart, Le Page, Gastine Renatte, etc.)

BV4 Makers’ Names – Price Factor = 2

Lesser known Continental names or names largely associated with low OQ grades

BV5 Makers’ Names – Price Factor = 1

Unknown names or unnamed

Post back if you wish to discuss further. Hope this helps some.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'd argue Hussey in all his iterations, Webley, and Cogswell & Harrison all belong in BV2 under your system.

Overall, I like where you are headed.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Keep in mind that this is a data based system, not my opinion. So, can you present sales data to show that the names you mentioned will sell for BV2 prices across the spectrums of Original Quality and Current Condition. Note that we must have very close similarity in combinations of OQ and CC for several guns and matching BV2 guns.

Are you keeping name separate from original quality grade in your thinking? For example, the name Purdey does not invariably associate with best work guns nor does the name Midland invariably associate with low grade guns.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Perhaps a Webley Premier and certain Greeners and Westley's would be BV1*
Note * denotes exceptional examples of the gunmakers craft.
IMO of course, each to his own.
Don,
I think it would be really useful if you printed your value structure in full.
We could all print it off and use it along with all the other paraphinalia we haul along to auctions. Micrometers, bore guages, thickness guages, 4 issues of Nigel Brown's tomes Dig's encyclopedia and all Boothroyds writings. Then none of us would make a mistake all guns would be correctly valued, we would all be content and busy reworking our new finds. And this board would be VERY quiet.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Salopian, agreed. What about provenance also? Adds value, cased, labels, etc etc...I don't think one can stick to the BV rule alone.

T

Sidelock
Sidelock

Don was kind enough to email me a working version of his spreadsheet some years ago; I tend to find it quite reliable.
Things like matched pairs or cases with or without accessories may be reasonably predictable, but provenance can be a bit of a wildcard - not very predictable.
RG

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: salopian
Perhaps a Webley Premier and certain Greeners and Westley's would be BV1*
Note * denotes exceptional examples of the gunmakers craft. Sal, you appear to be using BV to denote original quality as you appear to be speaking of certain guns of a maker's line-up. OQ is where we insert the gun's quality grade. CC is where we allow for what the gun has become to date.
IMO of course, each to his own.
Don,
I think it would be really useful if you printed your value structure in full. I.m working on it.We could all print it off and use it along with all the other paraphinalia we haul along to auctions. Micrometers, bore guages, thickness guages, 4 issues of Nigel Brown's tomes Dig's encyclopedia and all Boothroyds writings. Then none of us would make a mistake all guns would be correctly valued, we would all be content and busy reworking our new finds. And this board would be VERY quiet.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Ballistix999
Salopian, agreed. What about provenance also? Adds value, cased, labels, etc etc...I don't think one can stick to the BV rule alone.

T

I don't include provenance as it is highly variable person-to-person. Each buyer is, of course, free to tack on any premium he/she likes for any particular provenance; much as we do for small bore guns and rifles. When you are considering a high OQ grade gun, you rather expect it to be cased and will give price a ding if it isn't. Conversely, you don't expect lower OQ grade guns to be cased and will add some small premium for a good case.

BV is for brand value and has little meaning as to a gun's value until coupled with OQ (original quality grade) and CC (current condition level). A BV-OQ-CC series is required to indicate a value.

Sidelock
Sidelock

OK cheers, it's a sensible system by all accounts.

T

Sidelock
Sidelock

I did forget to mention that for data taken from UK auction houses the buyer's premium (typically in the range of 20%) and shipping/export/import (currently in the range of $500) is included. That is to say, the values assume USA retail for a SXS 12 bore gun of 1890ish-1960ish manufacture. Rifles, small bore, and extra finish command a premium.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.