June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
3 members (L. Brown, David Williamson, LRF), 437 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,586
Posts546,750
Members14,425
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 15 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 14 15
Sidelock
Sidelock

Sorry for going off topic.

Doug if I can help in anyway email me.

John Foster
Sidelock
Sidelock

Doug,
I would certainly hold fire as Toby said until this is resolved.
Maybe SKB can enlighten you on the liner situation?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Stan
miller,

What you mentioned about the choke acting as a sort of "check" seems to the logical mind to be so. However, we have been told that small shot acts like a liquid, and that as it enters the choke it actually speeds up, being subject to the venturi effect. We see other applications of the venturi effect around us, carburetors, cooling towers at nuclear reactors, why airplanes and hydrofoils fly, etc.

I, however, am not convinced that a load of shot acts the same as a moisture laden gas, and will continue to believe that great stresses occur when the shot enters the choke constriction area. Would you not describe the passage of shot through the reloader as flow? Probably, shot doesn't act exactly as a fluid, but it certainly does so in many ways. If the choke is not responsible for a venturi effect reduction of pressure within the shot column, then to what do you ascribe choke effect?

The greater the constriction the greater the stresses, I believe. This line of logic should lead you to believe that the sharper the choke taper the higher the stress. However, choke taper angle is not much of a concern in choke performance. Rather, it is the total constriction. In a very sharply tapered choke, the shot charge could be aware of the total constriction. However, in a shallow taper, the shot charge could all be contained within the choke section and have no idea of the final diameter.

What I would find interesting is how the bulged barrels in question were choked.

Stan

Stan

Sidelock
Sidelock

Don, If there is a reduction in pressure within the shot column it is just a physical side effect of the forced lengthening of the shot column, emphasis on "forced", because all of it simply cannot get through the constricted area in the same length that it was before entering it. Lower pressure within the shot column does not assume no stress is transmitted to the barrel at the choke area. If indeed there is a lowering of the pressure within that shot column it comes at the expense of great outward force which is the result of the column being forcibly lengthened. What I meant was that I do not believe that shot necessarily SPEEDS UP while passing through the constricted area (choke, venturi). This is what I was taught in physics was meant by "venturi effect", the acceleration of the gas or liquid. I am not entirely dogmatic on this point, however, as I cannot prove it either way. If it has been proven that shot accelerates in a choke, I stand corrrected on that point. Sure, shots flows, but not the same as a gas or liquid, IMO. The shot flowing through my reloader is not under several thousand psi, either. Of course no outward pressure is being exerted as the shot enters the drop tube on a reloader, it is only being acted upon by gravity. It isn't hitting a constriction at 1250 feet per second.

The length of choke taper has been debated and argued for many decades. Many different makers had their beliefs/ideas about this. I have my opinions as well, and opinions are all I claim them to be, not fact. However, if the sharpness of taper has no effect on choke performance, why not just try cutting a .040" X-full choke with a taper length of only .040"? This is an extreme example, just to make a point, because hopefully you don't believe that the stresses on the barrel steel in the radical taper would not be greater than it would if the taper took place over a distance of 3/4 inch, or more.

I did not make my point clearly enough in the earlier post, when I said that I would be interested to know what the constrictions were in the bulged barrels, that I was relating it to the earlier thoughts that possibly the proof houses had begun using steel shot proof loads. I certainly don't think that tight choke alone should cause a sound barrel to fail proof with a lead shot proof load. But you don't really believe that all shot, even that of very hard material, flows through chokes without causing stresses to the choke area, do you? Even steel? I think you know how risky it is to shoot steel shot loads through very tight chokes. I have seen any number of ruined chokes and barrels, at a friend's choke tube business, that were ruined by using steel or harder non-toxics through very tight chokes. The venturi effect may have eventually lowered pressures in those shot columns, but it was at the expense of a barrel and a choke tube.

Stan

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

WOW! When did Nigel Teague stop the lining service? I've seen plenty of barrels lined by nim...was it this year he stopped?

B

Sidelock
Sidelock

Don't forget its gun proof ammo, muzzle pressure is pretty much high and any minor changes in proof ammo loading could be fatal. For instance lead shot hardness of every pellet and its size.
In 70-th of last cent. Germans began to use parabolic full chokes in Merkel o/u's gun as it was used in Russian sporting guns such as MC-8, these chokes gave extremely tight patterns when small shot numbers were used. The result was ring bulges on most Merkels, when large shot numbers were used, because MC-8 was heavy gun with massive barrels, when most of Merkels were light weight guns.

Geno.
Sidelock
Sidelock

If they are using a nontox shot or steel to load proof loads then they have altered the test beyond any reasonable test for these old doubles to pass. Why on Earth would anyone decide to test with steel? Has the proof house suffered a serious drop in IQ?

The entire reason for the test is to assure guns pass a reasonable standard test. For years we have deemed a gun safe to shoot, with the correct loads, if it passed proof and was in proof. Never considered shoot loads that by their very nature would cause major damage to my gun. And I never thought a Proof house would do it without major disclosure and fair warning. Shoot steel loads in a tight choked gun and you will soon have major barrel damage unless you can repeal the laws of physics. This is either unthinkable or unbelievable and I am not doubting the charge or the messenger.

SKB Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Doug,
Nigel Teague sold the rights to the process to Jon Corner. Jon developed the process for Nigel originally and did the work for him under contract. Nigel decided to focus on his choke tube business and the rights and name were purchased by Jon. We have had very good success with the process and are currently taking orders. More information can be found on my website.

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
Sidelock

This answer is intended to be in the spirit of debate - nothing personal or derogatory intended.
Originally Posted By: Stan
Don, If there is a reduction in pressure within the shot column it is just a physical side effect of the forced lengthening of the shot column (disagree as the lengthening of the shot column comes with increasing velocity which requires reduceing pressure), emphasis on "forced", because all of it simply cannot get through the constricted area in the same length that it was before entering it (agree, but I believe the shot must obey fluid flow laws and acts mostly as a fluid in a venturi). Lower pressure within the shot column does not assume no stress is transmitted to the barrel at the choke area (Stress on the choke area must be the hoop stress due to pressure within the shot column and the following gas column. I do not believe the shot is transmitting momentum to the choke walls.). If indeed there is a lowering of the pressure within that shot column it comes at the expense of great outward force which is the result of the column being forcibly lengthened (Disagree. The lowering of the pressure within the shot column is in exchange for the shot speeding up to maintain mass flow rate.). What I meant was that I do not believe that shot necessarily SPEEDS UP while passing through the constricted area (choke, venturi) [Yep, this is well established by Remington data from the '30's - one fps per 0.001" constrictionis a fair rule of thumb.]. This is what I was taught in physics was meant by "venturi effect", the acceleration of the gas or liquid [Venturi effect is acceleration of the fluid in exchange for reduced pressure. Venturies have been used on airplanes as a sorce of vacuum power for instruments]. I am not entirely dogmatic on this point, however, as I cannot prove it either way. If it has been proven that shot accelerates in a choke, I stand corrrected on that point (Remington has published proof that choke increases shot speed). Sure, shots flows, but not the same as a gas or liquid, IMO. The shot flowing through my reloader is not under several thousand psi, either (Just gravitational pressure of the column). Of course no outward pressure is being exerted as the shot enters the drop tube on a reloader (Disagree. Not a lot, but there is pressure due to the weight of the column due to gravity) , it is only being acted upon by gravity. It isn't hitting a constriction at 1250 feet per second (if it does flow, it doesn't actually "hit" the constrictiion).

The length of choke taper has been debated and argued for many decades. Many different makers had their beliefs/ideas about this. I have my opinions as well, and opinions are all I claim them to be, not fact. However, if the sharpness of taper has no effect on choke performance, why not just try cutting a .040" X-full choke with a taper length of only .040" (Not exactly no effect, but over usual taper lengths, say 1" to 7", no appreciable effect. Very short or highly constricted tapers would get into the sonic speed of the shot, not the sonic speed of air, but of the shot and I don't know what that would be.)? This is an extreme example, just to make a point, because hopefully you don't believe that the stresses on the barrel steel in the radical taper would not be greater than it would if the taper took place over a distance of 3/4 inch, or more (Would depend on some factors I don't know. Remember Greener's experiment with a super thin choke wall.).

I did not make my point clearly enough in the earlier post, when I said that I would be interested to know what the constrictions were in the bulged barrels, that I was relating it to the earlier thoughts that possibly the proof houses had begun using steel shot proof loads. I certainly don't think that tight choke alone should cause a sound barrel to fail proof with a lead shot proof load. But you don't really believe that all shot, even that of very hard material, flows through chokes without causing stresses to the choke area, do you? Even steel? I think you know how risky it is to shoot steel shot loads through very tight chokes. I have seen any number of ruined chokes and barrels, at a friend's choke tube business, that were ruined by using steel or harder non-toxics through very tight chokes. The venturi effect may have eventually lowered pressures in those shot columns, but it was at the expense of a barrel and a choke tube. I think steel shot is more prone to bridging due to larger shot sizes and higher inter-pellet friction of steel on steel. The bulge comes from a gas hammer and scoring can occur as the end pellets skid against the barrel walls. Stan

Stan, come on back with points. You have raised good and logical issues that you should feel comfortable with.

Sidelock
Sidelock

This should be something that testing could clear up. I have a Pressure Trace we can use (straingage), I enviison we'd need a couple barrels screwed together and the ultimate port job might help reduce most of the hoop strain from gas pressure and provide some contrast in the strain values. Straingage two areas: one at the choke cone, the other along the straight bore. Just need a pump, single, or auto with two plain barrels we can wreck.

Page 7 of 15 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 14 15

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.