September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (Vol423, SKB, Karl Graebner, Argo44, buckstix, 1 invisible), 456 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,934
Posts550,879
Members14,460
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Wild Skies
Adam, I got the same response as you. I've replied to this e-mail with attached price lists inquiring about their "US partner" so one here in the USA may be able to inspect and handle some of their offerings---I'm awaiting their response.

It should be pointed out that the prices we posted are guns with Grade #3 wood, they also have listed Grades 4 and 5. Grade 5 carries an upcharge of $940 over Grade 3. The pics of the sidelocks you posted appear to my eyes to be upgraded wood---but of course, I could be wrong.

I was wondering what grade the stocks in the photos would be considered. Like you said, GRADE 3 is standard, but it doesn't mention if the wood shown is upgraded or not. If I do end up ordering a gun, I'll most like upgrade the wood to their best grade.

I am seriously considering ordering both a boxlock and sidelock. The BIGGEST thing stopping me is the unknown factor of quality. Plus, I'd like to see close up photos of the engraving.

Adam

Last edited by Adam Stinson; 02/26/11 06:41 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

The sidelocks that first appeared were Turkish-made Kimbers, priced around $5K for a sxs. They did not sell. For that money, you can buy an AyA #2, and AyA already has an established reputation. I think the S&W Elites are OK at $1200, but they were originally priced over $2K. Had to be discounted heavily to sell. And the Ruffed Grouse Society bought a bunch of the Kimbers for banquet guns, to give to life sponsors etc. Far as I know, they got stuck with a bunch of them.

Turkey may be the next Spain, but it's not there yet. It could be in terms of quality I suppose, but the Turks haven't yet established the reputation than the Spanish makers have--and remember, it took the Spaniards a long time to overcome the effects of the cheap stuff they sent to this country, back 30-40 years ago. Those sidelocks may be good values in the mid-$2K range. Obviously lower priced than comparable Spanish sidelocks, except perhaps for Ugartechea. And at that price, they have a far better chance of selling than did the $5K Kimbers. The problem there was that the Turks already had a pretty good rep for inexpensive guns, mostly under $1K, thanks to CZ. But it's a big jump to $5K, and not many buyers were willing to take the plunge. If the S&W's and higher grade CZ's work out OK, then I think these guns may stand a chance as well--assuming they work as good as they look.

Sidelock
Sidelock

That would have been the Kimber "Valier" also marketed as a "Hatfield" recently...I had one, thought it was too heavy and gave it back..

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Other than weight, was there anything else you disliked? Weight is not a major concern for me.... in fact, I like heavier guns.

Thanks for your input!

Adam

Sidelock
Sidelock

I would highly advise not to order just 2 guns. For the amount and price range you are better off working with their US partner or you guys as a group get an order together and then order.

JOhn Boyd
Quality Arms Inc
Houston

Last edited by arrieta2; 02/27/11 09:52 PM.

John Boyd
Quality Arms Inc
Houston, TX
713-818-2971
Sidelock
Sidelock

Adam, the "valier" I had was a pre-production gun. I pretty much liked everything ...about except the weight. It did need better finish work, and the later ones were much better. We have and shoot 3 other Turkish guns and are happy with all of them. I did have a single trigger DeHaan that I had probelms with, but Mark took it back and its double trigger replacement has had thousands of rounds through it, no probelms. Would I buy a car made in Turkey? YES! The Ford "transit Connect" van is made in Turkey. My neighbor has one, and its awesome. When the AWD Diesel version hits the shore.I'll prolly buy one..

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Last Dollar
That would have been the Kimber "Valier" also marketed as a "Hatfield" recently...I had one, thought it was too heavy and gave it back..

That's correct; it was the Valier model. Initially, it was offered both with and without ejectors. I can't recall any of the gun writers doing a review on the Valier, but I remember one on the Kimber OU--the "Marias" model. I think written by Bruce Buck in Shooting Sportsman. That gun had problems firing reloads reliably and, I think, one brand of factory shells. Also quite heavy for a 20ga field gun. I believe Bruce found a couple other issues as well. And that gun sold for about $2K more, if I recall, than the Valier. I don't think they sold many.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Like alot of Turkish guns, quality control can be very lacking. We are speaking within the same maker. The same gun can be great and the next one a real mess.

John Boyd

John Boyd
Quality Arms Inc
Houston, TX
713-818-2971
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Adam Stinson
I was wondering what grade the stocks in the photos would be considered.

Faux finished grade I suspect.

Sidelock
Sidelock

That's a good point, Joe. I wouldn't be surprised if all the beautiful marble-grain was just fake processing.

What American company did such a thing with their rifles back in the 90's? I can't remeber the process, whether "sprayed on" or "glued on" but the beautiful grain in their stocks was complete fabrication. And they were completely upfront about it, too, they weren't trying to fool anybody.

Damn! I can't remeber the company or the actual process.

Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.