June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
3 members (Mike Harrell, skeettx, 1 invisible), 573 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,589
Posts546,769
Members14,425
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 9 of 15 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 14 15
Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm willing to machine a couple barrels to screw together. I would hope we could find a tightly choked barrel for this. Sounds like Pete may have something.

I really think porting after something like 18-20" in the first barrel is a good idea to reduce gas pressure as low as possible to negate any effect on the strain measurement, since this debate is about the stress effect of the shot column on the choke.

L. Brown #219397 02/25/11 12:32 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: L. Brown
Don . . . "increasing velocity requires reducing pressure". Are you speaking in general, or only in the specific case of the changes that take place as a shot column passes through the choke? The specific case of a fluid passing through a constriction. I ask because, while pressure and velocity are not directly related, more often than not an increase in velocity will be accompanied by an increase in pressure. Or at least that's what you see if you look at a reloading manual. Good point. However, we need to look at several "pressures." I agree that there is not a general relation between peak breech pressure and MV. However, there is a very direct relationship between average barrel pressure and MV. For example, a fast powder can produce a higher breech pressure and a lower average barrel pressure than a slower powder; this is because the charge of slower powder contains more chemical energy - the retarded burn rate allows a larger charge of slow powder without high breech pressure. By the time the shot reaches the choke, the powder is long since burned out and the choke passage is a typical fluid dynamics event. IMO

Chuck H #219400 02/25/11 12:39 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Chuck H
While I understand the rationale to relate this to Bernoulli's principle, I'm skeptical that it would be applicable in this debate. The Remington data shows that MV increases with increasing constriction. There is nosource of additional energy. So, how else can we account for this?

I'm looking at the stress/strain issue on the choke as more of a single impact event, where the shot is traveling in a direction and then deflected in another. I believe the pellets act independently as fluid particles and not as a solid mass. I suspect the point of highest stress will be somewhere along the cone. If you are right, it should be exactly at the cone entrance where all pellets would have to change direction.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Don,
do you mean to say that: if the pressure drops in the choke, there will be, effectively, no expansion (no change in strain value) of the barrel at the choke?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Toby,Over the past 2-3 years we have seen many posts reporting abnormal failures of guns during proof testing in the U.K. This is causing consternation on the part of gun owners,in particular those considering sending valuable guns for reproof. The failure of the proof houses to issue a statment on this issue,is in my opinion damaging their otherwise excellent reputation.
Resolution of this issue is very important to the British gun trade and their customer base.If the Proof house and the Gun trade have not already embarked on a joint study to resolve this issue they would in my opinion be well advised to do so.
The University of Aston, in Birmingham, is but a stones throw, from the Birmingham Proof House; surely this highly respected technical University would have the expertise to advise and resolve this matter.

Last edited by Roy Hebbes; 02/25/11 02:07 PM.

Roy Hebbes
Sidelock
Sidelock

Don,

The wads from some steel/hard non-toxic shot are tapered so that the side petals of the wad are significantly thicker toward the base of the wad than toward the top. Could this positively affect at least the start of the flow of shot under Bernoulli's Principle?

Respectfully,
Mark

USMC Retired
Geno #219438 02/25/11 03:36 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Geno
Gas dynamics. The gas pressure will be increasing dramatically just behind shot column and wads, if shot column and wads meet obstacle such as full choke for example and slow down.

I agree with Geno mostly. I don't think a full choke will act as an obstruction, but increasing constriction may make shot bridging more likely. When the shot column first enters the choke section, the shot has no idea what the constriction will be. So, if the shot column was going to react to the constriction as if the constriction were an obstruction, the taper angle would be the important factor; short chokes would be more prone to bulges than would long choke sections. Since the shot flows through the choke, even full, without damage a vast majority of shots, bulging is a rare event. Shot bridring also seems a rare event. However, a shot bridge will support shear force and could, therefore, slow some of the shot column and the wad which could incite a gas hammer. IMO

Sidelock
Sidelock

Don, if "the pellets act independently as fluid particles", as you said earlier, how do we explain the ruptured chokes so prevalent when steel, and especially hevi-shot, is used in conjunction with very tight chokes. We say, "because of bridging", right? Well, how can a substance acting as a fluid be subject to bridging? If all those little balls, acting so independently as fluid particles, are able to bridge, occasionally, to the point that the barrel, in the choke area, is violently ruptured, then I say we cannot use the Bernoulli Principle to predict the flow characteristics and resulting pressures, within and without the shot column.

As I understand it, even the Bernoulli Principle is subject to modification because of the difference in viscosity of the substances being examined. In it's simplest form, Bernoulli's Principle governs an inviscid flow. Where does lead shot fall, as far as viscosity is concerned, and steel shot, and tungsten/iron shot? And, could a number value for viscosity can be assigned to the different types of shot? More questions. confused

And, again, how does a "liquid" (or a mass acting as a liquid) bridge and burst chokes if there is a reduction in pressure? The gas pressure may have reduced, but the forces acting on the barrel at the burst point certainly have not. I can accept that there can be a reduction in pressure AFTER the shot has passed the taper, and maybe even a velocity increase because of it, but cannot yet accept that the shot exerts no strain on the tapered area of the barrel.

How in the world can we even compare the dynamics of small shot, as it passes through the taper, with that of much larger sized shot? There IS a difference in it's behavior at that point, or there wouldn't be all the burst chokes and barrels due to the larger hard shot, as compared to the smaller.

Still chewin', Stan

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Chuck H #219441 02/25/11 03:48 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Chuck H
Don,
do you mean to say that: if the pressure drops in the choke, there will be, effectively, no expansion (no change in strain value) of the barrel at the choke?

I think there will be significant intercolumn pressure within the choke section, but it will be dropping from entry to exit. I would expect strain gauges to read it nicely. Two or three gauges would make a nice data set; one at the entry, one at the exit, and one midway and/or one a couple of inches before the entry.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Don,
Unfortunately, my device only has the capability of one input at a time. You could still get statistical information.

That last sentence was a hint... I'm willing to machine all the parts and provide the device, Pete is onboard with supplying the guns. I'm thinking you're the right person with the right credetials for the testing.

Page 9 of 15 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 14 15

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.