September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (SamW, SKB, Argo44, 3 invisible), 276 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,935
Posts550,902
Members14,460
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Sidelock
Sidelock

First, the CO2 ball dischargers are an essential piece of safety shooting gear for muzzleloading rifles because it promotes unloading before entering camp, car or other situations where a loaded gun is not desireable. I have not use them on a shotgun because I don't have a shotgun but expect they work equally well there. It is good because you don't have to fuss around in front of a loaded gun.

Black powder is less corrosive than pyrodex but is somewhat harder to obtain because it is classed as an explosive which Pyrodex is not.

The ignition problems rabbit has seen is a function of inexperienced shooters still in the learning curve. Get a mentor that knows what is going on rather than reinventing the wheel as you learn to handle a muzzleloader. Better yet, take the NMLRA basic course with knowledgable instructors at a local range. There is no need for modern shotgun primers for either black powder or pyrodex. Both ignite quite readily if the ignition channel is open. Muzzleloaders require a little more management than just toss in the load and expect things to work properly each time - including inlines.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I use the same procedures as 2-piper and (knock on wood) have never had a misfire or slow fire.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Some people like to put a little powder or even a regular load, as opposed to "snapping caps". The possibility 2P mentioned of plugging the nipple with stuff from the cap fired with no resistance from a powder charge is legitimate. However, seeing caps snapped hundreds of times by scores of shooters at a match, convinces me that snapping just a couple of caps is a valid practice. An important thing to do while cap snapping is to hold the muzzle close to the ground or blades of grass to see if anything moves. This is proof that the mini blast is getting through the nipple. Without observing this activity, cap snapping doesn't prove much except that the hammer and cap worked. The nipple and/or flash channel could still be blocked.

> Jim Legg <

Sidelock
Sidelock

I've hunted with them since '57 and all I can say is "amen" 2-piper. And I'll repeat one point he made: do not pop caps on it to clear the barrels. And always fire both barrels to clear the gun before you start hunting. Good luck!

John McCain is my war hero.
Jeff G. Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks For the good info guys, I will try to finalize the deal on the ML.

Jeff G.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm kind of in Jims camp- snap the caps , watch the ground . If you're worried about the flash hole getting plugged , take the nipple out and check it. Of course , that's after the barrel have been degreased with the nipples out . Paul

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm not disagreeing with 2p or Joe about firing a full load vs. cap snapping except to point out that if you start with a full load and it doesn't fire, then what do you do? The same thing you would do if the grass doesn't move when you snap a cap: remove the nipple and clear it. The difference is you don't have a fully loaded gun to contend with.
If you want a dirty barrel to start with, snap a couple of caps, watch for dirt or grass to move, then load it up and fire away.

> Jim Legg <

RPr Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I guess I am guilty of over kill. Since a swab the bore with oil after cleaning,I snap a cap and look for the blast impact on the ground, then I fire a blank charge to burn out the oil. This has worked fine for the last 30 years.

The BP subs are more of a problem because they do not burn well with just the powder charge.

I hunt with black powder because I think it is more reliable with the standard percussion caps.

At the end of the hunt, if I am not going out the next day or so, I fire off the load.

As already mentioned, BP or BP subs are both corrosive and need to be cleaned. The subs clean easier but clean up is part of the sport.

Good luck
RPr

Sidelock
Sidelock

I can't say I haven't snapped caps, but they have given me as much problems as they have cures. I just send a patch down the bores on a jag, to check for oil and a clear channel, and load the gun. Go hunting and enjoy. I never had a problem. I can also hear the air rushing out the nipple when I send that jagged patch down the bores. Never a problem.

Jeff G. Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Ok OK my next stupid question. Why do you fire a shot to clear out the residual oil. Will it not shoot if there is too much oil? Will it explode? Will it alter the balistics? It seems that if you fire a shot to clear it, you could have just fired it at the game?
Whats up?
Jeff G.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.