Dave, the simple answer is that when buying a specific type of gun you often can't be too choosy up front or you will never own one. A fair deal on a good Parker is a one day proposition - if you don't 'buy it now' it's gone.

In answer to your comments:

a) Not true; for guns no longer produced you have to deal with whomever owns the gun you are interested in, or pass on the gun. You can pick your nose but you can't pick your sellers.

b) Many sellers will not disclose a flaw even if you ask, or will seriously downplay it. For example, on GB or GA there is a Parker which has what is described as a 'very minor barrel ding'. I have seen the gun and it is a large ding and probably near-impossible to rectify.

c) Photos often can be taken to hide flaws, and many sellers hide behind their inability or unwillingness to take photos. When you sell a gun you sound like you do what I do - full disclosure - but most don't. Most prefer the Bill Clinton "Dont' Ask Don't Tell' policy.

d) I will go to my grave expecting the same of others as I would do for them. I don't intend to relax that standard. There are shaky people and always will be - I just don't intend to accomodate them.