What would BATF would say if you asked them if it was ok to re-number a serial number? Before you dismiss the thought consider what their response would be. No, NO, do it and if we catch you we would like to talk to you about it.

That said, I doubt very much if Delgreco was stupid enough to change the serial numbers. In fact I bet good money that they did not do it. Not disputing that it has been done, just that no smart dealer or repair service would do it for fear of loosing their FFL. A few hundred dollars, for such a act, with the certain knowledge that your FFL would be lost if and when caught, would make it almost a certain fact that Delgreco did not change the numbers.

So the mystery is who did it? My guess is that the person who did the engraving was the one who restamped the gun and over stamped all the noted areas. Delgreco I do not doubt may have sleeved the gun, recolored the action and might have been the one to have restocked the gun. Looks a little poor for thier stock work, but maybe they did the restock job.

Seems like a lot of work to fake up a D grade. Figure if real it might be worth around $4,500-5,500.00. But to have the barrels resleeved stock replaced, engraving upgraded, recolored and all finish restored must have taken up almost all of that much money unless done 30 years ago. And if it is a 30 year old job, never shot, since there is no wear, what was the point? To make a profit 30 years later. Poor investment.

My first hunch was that this gun was restored by someone who though a lot about the gun. Maybe a gun handed down in his family. In poor shape and needing a complete overhaul. You know those unsafe damascus barrels, maybe heavily pitted bores, cracked stock, no finish left. They had it fixed up and upgraded to a higher grade as they went. But the problem with that is that they never would have wanted to, or thought about, changing serial numbers or restamping the gun. I have upgraded many a gun and never once considered changing the numbers.

No this gun was reworked to make it look like a better grade and appear to be worth far more than it is worth. They choose DH because that was the most popular grade with about 9,500 made and they thought that they could blend in with all the rest easier. You know decent grade but not so rare that it would attract a detailed evaluation by half a dozen "experts".

Funny thing is that had this gun just been put on the rack, in a local gun store, it might have been happily bought as the real thing. But by going for a much larger market it was spotted fairly quickly as a upgrade. Now the only real way to get top dollar out of this gun is to pull it off the auction, wait a few months and put it on the rack. Several local Parker collectors would be happy to find such a gem.

In fact, I know one collector in Lexington, KY who has about 30 such upgraded or refinished guns that he has bought as "originals" over the years. All from two or three dealers who evaluated them for him and have assured him that they are mint to high grade guns. Ought to drop this seller a email and give his name to this seller. You know what they say a fool and his money are soon parted and this buyer has a lot of money.