June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
3 members (GETTEMANS, redoak, 1 invisible), 158 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,636
Posts547,232
Members14,433
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
Sidelock

dogon have at it !
My RBL had the black burnt look checkering Chuck mentioned.Couldn't stand it anymore,out came the Dembarts.

Here you can see an area with junk between the diamonds on the right, looked more like beads than diamonds.

The forend after a few passes.Made a nice weekend project and greatly improved appearance. Can't see it in the pic, but also allows the wood grain to show through. :>) Ragards Bob

Sidelock
Sidelock

Certainly looks like an improvement. How many LPI cutter did you use?

So many guns, so little time!
Sidelock
Sidelock

Just used a single 60 degree blade and chased out the pattern. The diamonds are there, just hidden by the burnt residue.Takes very little pressure with the cutter to remove the junk, very simple to do, nothing like cutting a new pattern. Bob

Weatherby used this on their Mk Vs made in the USA and it looks horrible. Esp if the wood has any kind of fancy grain.

Why on earth are they doing this? A professional checkering job costs $350. I can understand engraving, that costs about $1k or more on a shotgun for full coverage, English scroll.

If I had an RBL on order, I would get it UNCHECKERED and then do it myself, or have a professional checker it.

I think they took the automation thing a bit too far.

doublegunhq.com
Fine English, American and German Double Shotguns and Rifles
Sidelock
Sidelock

I tried to get mine without engraving or checkering. In short in the white. Told a year ago that they would not sell it to me in that state. Muttered something about metal needs hardening and liability issues. Might have been that they were not interested in thinking outside the box. I wanted to have one engraved in a pattern of my choice and with a custom fitted stock. Might wait until they sell off the last ones in kit form to do it. Ha. Ha.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Mr. Legg,
You are flat out wrong. I have toured the Bruchet and Granger shops in St. Etienne France. The are NO machines in the Granger shop, just three guys with well organized benches of hand tools, mostly files. The Bruchets have a few machines that see regular use, a lathe with a fixture that drills a through bolt hole in the stock, a saw that is used to set LOP for guns with checkered butts, and an internal barrel profiler that is perhaps 75-80 years old. The rest of the work is by hand, with the hand scraping easily seen on the ways and breech. The parts do not interchange from gun to gun. Quite a few of the hand tools these guys use, they built themselves-I have a photo of the float that Paul Bruchet built from a section of truck spring, that is used to rough shape the monobloc to the contour of the barrels. It makes rapid work of this chore, but, it is still rapid hand work.
There are a few companies that hand build guns left in the world. Not many, but that is not the same as none.
Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ted,
Have you ever seen anyone make a barrel w/o a machine? I don't know what your definition of a machine is, but I'd count even a brace and bit as a machine and I bet the Granger boys don't use one of those to bore those barrels.

Brent

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

Whittling a reciever from a block of steel with only hand powered tools can certainly be done. The question is; why would someone do it today. Economics? Certainly not using machines at all doesn't increase the quality. And hand filing a hingepin round to fit in a hand drilled hole in the reciever seems to be a difficult, if not a method of questionable quality, way of doing a job like that since the industrial revolution.

Now if these guys have little hand powered lathes and jigboring machines, that aint exactly purely "handmade".

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.