September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (Argo44, David Williamson, Roundsworth, 2 invisible), 259 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,938
Posts550,914
Members14,460
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 13 14
Sidelock
Sidelock

I may be here by myself but I am glad to see someone standing up for the environment. No-Tox and Bismuth loads are readily available, although they cost a little more. If everyone would do a small thing for the environment, perhaps there will be an environment left for future generations. IMHO

Best Regards, George

To see my guns go to www.mylandco.com Select "SPORTING GUNS " My E-Mail palmettotreasure@aol.com
Sidelock
Sidelock

Jent P Mitchell III says:
Your comment is awaiting moderation.
July 2, 2011 at 11:08 am
Hello Foxhall, Your sporting clays course will be a total failure if you do not allow standard lead shot to be used to shoot sporting clays. Yes, I know you said I can borrow one of your junk guns to shoot steel shot. We do not want to shoot junk guns. We want to use our custom fitted beautiful over and under shotguns or one of our vintage side-by-side shotguns that shoots correctly for us. There is nothing harmful about lead shot as long as you do not eat it !

Jent P Mitchell III

I left this on a BBS for FOXHALL. I would encourage all of us here to let FOXHALL know how we feel about steel shot. Jent

Sidelock
Sidelock

You can let FOXHALL know what you think at the website----

http://epicgamefairblog.org/2011/06/03/m...all/#comment-26

Jent

GF1 Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

There is a principle here, and that should trump the practical problem of steel shot in good guns. This is easy - the statement that needs sending will arrive loudly by boycotting this event. I sure will, and recommend others do so as well.

Foxhall will really get that message, and its unlikely to be received otherwise.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: George L.
I may be here by myself but I am glad to see someone standing up for the environment. No-Tox and Bismuth loads are readily available, although they cost a little more. If everyone would do a small thing for the environment, perhaps there will be an environment left for future generations. IMHO

Best Regards, George

George, lead is a naturally occurring element. We mine it out of the ground. It's not radioactive, like uranium. We've been shooting it on ranges much older than Foxhall for a very long time. The only potential damage I'm aware of from accumulated shot fall would be if it were to drop into water, where it might be ingested by waterfowl. Or perhaps it might be picked up as grit by certain other bird species--although that does not appear to be happening often enough that biologists can demonstrate via population decline (as they did with ducks, back when we still shot them with lead) that any specific SPECIES is suffering harm.

We have to be very careful that what's being sold to us as "protecting the environment" does not have a strong ulterior motive behind it--like intentionally taking aim at hunting and the shooting sports.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I will not go to a vintage gun event that requires "non-toxic" shot on the clays course.

Best,

Mike

I am glad to be here.
DGM Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: GF1
There is a principle here, and that should trump the practical problem of steel shot in good guns. This is easy - the statement that needs sending will arrive loudly by boycotting this event. I sure will, and recommend others do so as well.

Foxhall will really get that message, and its unlikely to be received otherwise.

I don't think its Foxhall that needs to get the message as much as the EPIC organizers - Safari Club & Quail Unlimited - who should know better than to have selected a lead free venue and put the event opposite the Vintage Cup. They're the ones who can fix both problems for next year.

"When you have to shoot, Shoot! Don't talk." - Tuco

Sidelock
Sidelock

I was officiating at the Commonwealth Games Clay shooting events held at the hallowed English Bisley ranges in 2002.
Over a beer at the end of the day, the talk got around to the subject of lead shot. Bisley has been in continuous use as a rifle range since 1890, in recent years as a shotgun range too. The Bisley management state that the lead laying around does not cause a hazard to life as there is little water on the grounds and is of no concern.

At the Sydney 2000 Olympic Games we officials were discussing the possiblity of being forced to use steel shot for ISSF World Cups and Olympic Clay Target events. It is my understanding that the ISSF would prohibit the use of steel shot because of the danger to shooters, officials and spectators, due to the high risk of ricochet of steel pellets from the targets and infrastructure such as skeet houses and trap bunkers.
Don't shoot your eye out, right?
Reclamation of lead shot at shotgun ranges is practical and cost-effective and is the answer.
I would not suport an event such as this Epic Game Fair as they are insisting on non-toxic shot except for a bone tossed to lead shot users of a small set aside area. The organisers say they will have loaner guns for steel shot on the sporting course, well, if I can't shoot my Wm Evans and am forced to use a borrowed Mossberg 500.
So I'll just stick with the Flatwater and hopefully the UP shoot for 2012, can't afford the Vintagers Cup, but I would if I could.
Send a strong message to the Epicureans,
1) stuff your no lead ban
2) I'm boycotting your event

If you do go, make sure you have the best wrap-around shooting glasses you can buy, aviator styles won't protect your eyes enough.
Mike

Sidelock
Sidelock

Mike, I'm appreciate your post. It reflects my thoughts perfectly. It seems to me that participation in this event with the current restrictions amounts to passive acceptance of a lead ban at the very least. In most environments lead is harmless. Why encourage the greater adoption of "bad science"?

John McCain is my war hero.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Jent P Mitchell lll
You can let FOXHALL know what you think at the website----

http://epicgamefairblog.org/2011/06/03/m...all/#comment-26

Jent

Have you gone there and let them know what you think? I did.

So many guns, so little time!
Page 3 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 13 14

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.