September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online Now
8 members (J.B.Patton, Birdog, Lloyd3, Gerry Addison, 2 invisible), 212 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,883
Posts550,430
Members14,454
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#234173 07/02/11 12:50 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

A choke questions for the experts....I have a 10 ga. Baker SxS (Damascus)that was/is factory choked FULL & FULL.

If I use Gauge-Mate steel sleeves to shoot 12 gauge 2-3/4" low-pressure handloads through it, what would be the likely choke patterns? Would they be similar to CYLINDER, since the 12 gauge shells have a 12 gauge wad, which is far undersize for the 10 gauge bore? Or will the patterns be more like the "FULL CHOKE" of the original bores?

Eventually I will go through the laborious task of pattern-testing and pellet-counting. But I wondering what to expect...

JERRY

Sidelock
Sidelock

I will take a guess, when your gun was new, the only wads were cardboard. Now you are taking modern 12 ga. shells that have a plastic wad. By the time the shot leaves the wad on it's way out the barrel, I would say that the contriction would be the same.

David

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: jerry66stl
A choke questions for the experts....I have a 10 ga. Baker SxS (Damascus)that was/is factory choked FULL & FULL.

If I use Gauge-Mate steel sleeves to shoot 12 gauge 2-3/4" low-pressure handloads through it, what would be the likely choke patterns? Would they be similar to CYLINDER, since the 12 gauge shells have a 12 gauge wad, which is far undersize for the 10 gauge bore? Or will the patterns be more like the "FULL CHOKE" of the original bores?

Eventually I will go through the laborious task of pattern-testing and pellet-counting. But I wondering what to expect...

JERRY

[size:11pt][/size]Hello Jerry, The short answer is your pattern size will be unchanged when shooting 12 gauge ammo out of your 10 gauge SXS using gaugemates. Your pattern might be even better than what the original short 10 gauge ammo would be capable of. The plastic 12 gauge wad when fired out of a gaugemate 10 gauge to 12 gauge converter becomes a 10 gauge wad as soon as it exits the gaugemate and enters the 10 gauge barrel. The plastic wad will obturate immediately and fill the bore. These gaugemates work great in the 10 to 12 gauge application. By the way, you will not need to use low pressure handloads if your SXS is in good condition. I use Remington Gun Clubs or Federal Target Loads from WALMART that come in the 100 packs in several of my 10 gauge SXSs with these gaugemates. Good Shooting To You, Jent

Sidelock
Sidelock

One more note on these 10 gauge to 12 gauge converters from gaugemate. When you fire the 12 gauge shell in the gaugemate 10 ga to 12 ga sleeve the hull will be ruined !!! Do not attempt to reload a hull that has been fired in a gaugemate 10 to 12 sleeve.

Jent

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

JENT (and others),

Thanks for the replies.

Jent, please tell me more about why you think the fired 12 gauge hull will not be "reloadable;" or why it should not be reloaded.

JERRY

Sidelock
Sidelock

The difference between a 10 to 12 ga. is so little that the gauge mates have to be split to function like they are not there.
The plastic on the hulls sometimes split. Some say they can be reloaded...I just trash them.

RMC Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Jerry, IF I remember right, chambermate website addresses the question you asked. Been awhile since I bought mine so a little foggy on what was there. I did the 10/12 deal also. Really works slick, but hulls get trashed. Randy

RMC
Sidelock
Sidelock

Hi, Jerry, I have Chambermates 12-20 ga. The shot pattern is similar to the pattern with 12 ga shells in my Lanber u/o.
The Chambermates are more expensive than the other adapters but these have ejectors which hook onto the gun's and, an O ring to hold the Chambermate in place. The O rings come in different diameter to make a tight fit in different chambers. With the instructions come a chart of the O ring sizes so you can trot off to the Coop Ag Store to replace them when needed.
I do not reload the 20 ga Wally World hulls buy they are reloadable by the looks of them.
Mike

Sidelock
Sidelock

Joe, it looks like you ground the lip off a bit. Was it so the extractor would lift the empty hull?

I have Chambermates Silver 12 to 20, so there is no split. I don't load 20s so I don't why they couldn't be reloaded seeing as how it doesn't have the split. They are made without the split when you jump two gauges.

My experience with the 12 to 20 is that the pattern is about 1" larger. I don't count pellets; just the effective size of the pattern; lazy blush I wonder how much pressure drops using 12 to 20 or velocity change?

Sidelock
Sidelock

The real question to me is, will either a guagemate or chambermate provide enough containment to guarantee that a flawed damascus will not burst. Is the point of most vulnerable pressure covered...or is the region most likely to give way further down the barrel? Steve

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.