September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (Hammergun, JulesW, Ted Schefelbein, 2 invisible), 452 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,934
Posts550,876
Members14,460
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Krakow Kid
Where does one catgegorize that West Coast specialty, Claro Walnut? This wood has its own very unique streaking, unlike any of the other walnuts I've seen.

Very briefly, most walnut we see in stocks and blanks come from one of three different species (and one hybrid) of walnut:

Juglans Nigra (commonly called American Black Walnut)
Juglans Regia (aka Persian, English, French, Circassian, Turkish, etc. Walnut)
Juglans Hindsii (commonly called Claro Walnut)
Paradox or Bastogne Walnut, which is actually a hybrid of Juglans Regia and Juglans Hindsii

Of these four species, Juglans Nigra is the predominate Walnut used by gun manufacturers in the USA. In Europe, the Walnut used by gun manufacturers is Juglans Regia. The preference is more about availability than anything else. Outside of the States Black Walnut is an uncommon tree, and Juglans Regia has grown (both cultivated and volunteer) for centuries. Folks use what comes to hand.

American Black Walnut is, as the species name suggests, typically a relatively dark wood. It commonly runs from chocolate brown all the way to black. It can be highly figured with highly contrasting streaking, and in the higher grade blanks vivid greens, yellows, and purples are found.

Juglans Regia, on the other hand, runs the rainbow. English, Persian, and French Regia is typically very light in color. Plain blanks can be almost beige in color and completely bland in appearance. Higher grade blanks will show strongly contrasting pale and dark striping (mineral streaking) or swirling (called ‘marblecake’ figure). Turkish Juglans Regia tends toward reddish hues, strong fiddleback figure, and magnificent marblecake figure. Many of the so called ‘English Stock Finishes’ on the market are attempts to duplicate the reddish cast of Turkish Regia.

Juglans Hindsii is generally found in a thousand shades of light brown. Strong mineral lines are uncommon, and true marble cake figure is relatively rare in Juglans Hindsii. Where Juglans Hindsii shines is in fiddleback figure, which is common in Juglans Hindsii and frequently magnificent. On the plus side, fantastic Juglans Hindsii blanks are relatively inexpensive (about half the price of an equally attractive Juglans Regia blank). On the minus side, Juglans Hindsii doesn’t quite have the compressive strength of Juglans Regia.

Bastogne Walnut is probably the least common of the four species of stock wood. In color it tends to be lighter in color than Juglans Nigra, but is frequently darker than Juglans Regia. Fiddleback figure is not uncommon, and contrasting greens and yellows may be found in the higher grade blanks. Bastogne has the reputation of being the strongest of the four species, and capable of taking very fine checkering ‘best of the bunch’.

Regardless of the species of walnut, mineral streaking and marblecake contrast figure are produced by minerals absorbed by the tree via the ground water taken up by the roots. Sap flow from root to crown distributes the minerals through the tree via the physical grain structure. These minerals cannot be used by the tree and are left in the wood as the wood transitions from sap wood to core wood. How this mineralization presents in a stock is largely determined by cutting plan used to section the tree buttress into stock blanks. Do a google search for plain sawn, quarter sawn, and rift sawn to see how the cut plan determines the presentation of mineralization in stock blanks.

Fiddleback is actually a different subject, and is more closely tied to a tree’s medullary rays than its grain structure.

Last edited by Kyrie; 07/09/11 08:29 PM.
tut Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

That's about the best write up I've seen on the different species. Thanks

foxes rule
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: tut
That's about the best write up I've seen on the different species. Thanks

My pleasure.

There is just something about a really nice piece of walnut that drives guys to spend unreasonable sums of money.

Here is an AyA Model 116.

Ugly wood, on a nice gun

I had the gun restocked, using a moderately nice piece of English walnut.

Ended up spending about twice what the gun and cost me on getting it restocked. Crazy, but I'd do it again.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Kyrie's post would surpass any post on wood types if the various wood types described would be accompanied by several pictures of each variation he describes. This is not meant to detract from Kyrie's post, but just to emphasize how uninformed we are and how much knowledge we desire. I like dark thick mineral streaks on gold wood and I still don't know how to get them. What kind of wood am I looking for? What is the difference between the "tan" wood and the "gold" wood? Which is which?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Exposure to light will affect the color of wood and the longer it is exposed the more the color can change. I am talking about unfinished wood.I have some pine,oak and walnut in a stack that has all aged to about the same color with a lot of sunlight hitting it through a window. Wood stack is about 40-50 years old.You have to scrape a piece to see what it actually is.Plane a piece of walnut and you can see that the surface color is often not very thick and leave the planed piece out and it will change color again.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Bill, the variety that should meet your description is Eureka Walnut. It has a golden background and does show well with black mineral markings. It is hard and dense like "Turkish Walnut".
Franquette Variety also is similar but with a darker back ground. Like most things where and how it grows will make one blank look better than the next.

Sidelock
Sidelock

There should be a lot of green walnut to process in California since the environ--mentally instigated irrigation cut-off let many orchards die...of course, one would have to know how to properly lay out the blanks when cutting it up. I appreciate the wood you guys have posted! California English is hard to beat! Steve

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.