Originally Posted By: ellenbr
Peter, I invite comment and conjecture from sauerfan and anyone willing to chime in on the patent aspect. Do you know of any A&D use stamps on Belgian sporting weapons?
.... For now I would guess that the connections of either August Heindrick Schoverling or Charles Daly both had extensive connections and could have brokered a deal with an entity in Liege who was dolling out A&D permission/use numbers. I wonder how one tracks those use numbers anyway. ....

Raimey,

I also have wondered about the "use numbers". I have never found a good reference that lists / tracks them. I do not recall seeing them on Belgian guns. They all seemed to jump on the A&D patent as soon as it became available for public use. They were not alone. Many British makers did the same. I seem to recall the British renewal fee was something like 5 pounds.

Just remember that our friend Daly was not above twisting the law when ever it lead to a profit.

So many of the Philadelphia makers produced these guns. I am convinced there was some local marketing going on to the trade.

I just lost a TL Golcher by the way. Won the auction, then the seller refused to ship. Finally recovered my money. I think he figured out what he had....

Pete