September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online Now
3 members (dukxdog, Perry M. Kissam, Researcher), 216 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,934
Posts550,889
Members14,460
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
tanky #237040 07/27/11 11:16 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Mcintosh wasn't just talking about the Model 21 when he wrote that. I gathered it's on all shotguns.

tanky #237041 07/27/11 11:48 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

What what I have read, it definitely is supposed to be there, so that the barrels are coming into contact with the breech face of the receiver and not bottoming out on the barrels and receivers water tables.

David

tanky #237043 07/27/11 12:16 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Its all about the lockup circle, of course its there in theory, but with most guns its pretty small. On some M21s its prominent---a lot bigger than the proverbial CH or

-Clif Watkins

tanky #237047 07/27/11 01:18 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

About the RBL that has the limb gap.
It appears to me that the gap that's growing is not due to fit but an unfortunate combination of drying,change in humidity and stock grain.
I am sure if you forward the picture or better the RBL they will take care of it post haste. They have always been good and reasonably speedy with problems that are not user inflicted.In most cases even if they are.Tony is very consumer aware about quality, believe me if it turns out to be a fit problem someone on his end will be on the end of a serious dressing down.
Regards
John MC

John Mc #237048 07/27/11 02:09 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: John Mc
About the RBL that has the limb gap.
It appears to me that the gap that's growing is not due to fit but an unfortunate combination of drying,change in humidity and stock grain.
I am sure if you forward the picture or better the RBL they will take care of it post haste. They have always been good and reasonably speedy with problems that are not user inflicted.In most cases even if they are.Tony is very consumer aware about quality, believe me if it turns out to be a fit problem someone on his end will be on the end of a serious dressing down.
Regards
John MC

Thanks John I will call Carol and set something up, yeah I know Tony would not stand for something that cheesy happening

-Clif Watkins

John Mc #237051 07/27/11 02:21 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

nm

Last edited by John Roberts; 07/27/11 02:21 PM.

Be strong, be of good courage.
God bless America, long live the Republic.
tanky #237067 07/27/11 04:01 PM
GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Interesting point about Orvis. With each spring fishing catalog touting the latest and best, I often wondered if fishing that spring with my old stuff would be worth the effort. However, compared with Herters' "World Famous" products, Orvis was almost 'aw shucks" modest in its ads. Regarding RBLs, the good ones really look great, but I have read about enough quality control issues with RBL's on various forums to make me wonder if anyone gave the gun a good eyeballing before it left Connecticut. One that really stood out was rough chambers. Photos showed "ring" marks the length of one chamber. If the internet had been around during the 1920s would there have been the same complaints about Fox, Parker et al? I don't think so.

tanky #237074 07/27/11 05:10 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Why "Whorvis?" They make very good rods, have very good everything. I think there's a resentment against success with Orvis and with CSMC. Those who own them pretty much like them (and I own both) and am perfectly happy with them. Are they perfect? No. Are they adequate? More than adequate. Do they both have excellent service departments? Undoubtedly.

If I could afford a really expensive shotgun, maybe I'd buy another brand, but my RBL is about as expensive as I can afford, and is in all degrees a good shotgun that relies on modern machining. My Orvis rod isn't my favorite, either. I fish with a Academy Sports 8wt rod for bass that I bought for $10.88 (I bought two last fall.)

My fave shotgun is my LC Smith 0 grade, very plain and inexpensive. It's got fixed chokes (M/F) Damascus barrels, and it's a gun that does a job. No engraving, no gold inlays, no Exhibition Grade Turkish walnut. None of which makes a shotgun shoot any better.

If you don't want wood to change with the climate, buy synthetic. WOOD WILL SHRINK AND EXPAND. Get used to it, or buy a laminated wood stock.

Have we reached the point where Very Good isn't Good Enough? I'm proud of my RBL.

Last edited by Genelang; 07/27/11 05:14 PM.
tanky #237197 07/28/11 08:50 PM
tanky Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

My My Did I stick a stick in a hornets nest? I know some here don't like CSMC. And some don't like Tony Galazan. I didn't get to meet him when I went up there last week but I would have liked to. I probably would have given him as big a hug as I gave Addam( to his dismay I might add). There is a man who takes a chance putting products on the market that has a very small following in this country. He seems to be successfull and I am very happy about that because he and his company is American. He has assembled a workforce that can build a very fine shotgun and build a machine made afordable gun for us working folk. I know that the RBL is not the best SxS out there but for the money there is no comparison. Want to buy a turk for almost the same money? I shot a SKB for many years digesting many 10's of thousands of rounds. I expect that my RBL will do the same. I don't consider a loose burr that big of a deal, it was just a little inconvenient. I have to say that I love my RBL. It looks good and I shoot it good. It smacks them targets,ducks,geese hard and far. I can say that it is a keeper and it will get sold when I am to old to swing it or at my estate sale. So I think that Tony has built a very fine enterprise in a difficult environment. And if some day in the future I can buy a Fox I hope they are still there.

tanky #237203 07/28/11 09:35 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have nothing but respect for Tony, he comes by my table in Vegas every year and we chew the fat. Don't believe for an instant he is a little small operation or poorboying it. He is a smart businessman that is keeping the American Gun dream alive. Everybody who is anybody in the high end arms arena knows who he is. Just because an autoloader Berretta clay maven doesn't know him does not mean squat.

I just wish my RBL had been better, and his 21 prices a little lower.

-Clif Watkins

Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.