Why "Whorvis?" They make very good rods, have very good everything. I think there's a resentment against success with Orvis and with CSMC. Those who own them pretty much like them (and I own both) and am perfectly happy with them. Are they perfect? No. Are they adequate? More than adequate. Do they both have excellent service departments? Undoubtedly.

If I could afford a really expensive shotgun, maybe I'd buy another brand, but my RBL is about as expensive as I can afford, and is in all degrees a good shotgun that relies on modern machining. My Orvis rod isn't my favorite, either. I fish with a Academy Sports 8wt rod for bass that I bought for $10.88 (I bought two last fall.)

My fave shotgun is my LC Smith 0 grade, very plain and inexpensive. It's got fixed chokes (M/F) Damascus barrels, and it's a gun that does a job. No engraving, no gold inlays, no Exhibition Grade Turkish walnut. None of which makes a shotgun shoot any better.

If you don't want wood to change with the climate, buy synthetic. WOOD WILL SHRINK AND EXPAND. Get used to it, or buy a laminated wood stock.

Have we reached the point where Very Good isn't Good Enough? I'm proud of my RBL.

Last edited by Genelang; 07/27/11 05:14 PM.